Hosting Puzzle ?? Best Host ?? Please guide.

Neutral Singh

SPN Administrator
I am planning on changing my host to registerfly.com for their WebPro Plan @ $13.95 PM with 3GB space & 125GB bandwidth... How do you rate registerfly.com as a shared hosting service. Any other suggestions for a good host for vBulletin would be appreciated.

Regards

mOdEtWo

Aspirant
I haven't heard anything about registerfly.com, but I'd like to shoot in saying that A Small Orange is an exellent host. I and many others are hosting our vBulletin boards over there (TheMusicMan for an example).

They have just re-organized their company, and should be opening the registration of new accounts on the 27.th this month.

Check the customer rating over at BizRate.com

NexopiaRob

Habitué
When ever you need to checkout a web hosting company, goto webhostingtalk.com and search their name. If they've been around for even a few months, you'll find some words.

my3shadows

Adherent
NexopiaRob said:
When ever you need to checkout a web hosting company, goto webhostingtalk.com and search their name. If they've been around for even a few months, you'll find some words.

I'll second that....that's how I found my current host (who I'm thrilled with!) and I never would have found them without searching on webhostingtalk.com.

Neutral Singh

SPN Administrator
Friends, i was looking at www.hostrocket.com ... Corporate Plan at $12.95 (One years)... How do you rate hostrocket ? I remember a really very busy website called faithfreedom.org was hosted on hostrocket... Do you recommend hostrocket ?

Also what about dreamhost.com ? Well, their offer is unbelievable ? i am getting confused even more ? :confused:

NexopiaRob

Habitué
dreamhost.com does look a little too good to be true

hostrocket.com doesnt seem to have a "Corporate Plan at $12.95"

As we said, just do a search on WebHostingTalk.com using the company name as the search, and see what people have said

Whilst Dream may look too good to be true, try looking it up at webhostingtalk and you'll find many positive comments. If I had one single negative to say about them it's that I'd like to be able to host more than 3 full domains on the one package but that is a very minor thing *chuckles*.

You can also check out Micfo.com 2 gb disk space 80 gb bandwidth, 6 databases.

NexopiaRob

Habitué
Have you ever used close to the bandwidth limit?
Thats' the thing that puts me off companies like that. Can they actually give you that much bandwidth for that price?

Lee Davies

Habitué
I have no idea, but I plan to try ;)

I'm with Dreamhost myself since Snow recommended me them, and expect a bit of downtime at the start of my account creation (server upgrades) that didn't even last 12 hours.

I've taken screenshots of the site and packages offering all the features... so if they even try and say my site uses too much bandwidth whilst it's still in the quota, I'll throw the screens back at them ;)

I've been with them almost a month now and they seem to be pretty cool. I'll get back to you when I start hosting larger files.

The one "bad" comment I've read about them is that their shell access was pretty slow. I've used it (to restore my forums database) and it took about 2 minutes to restore a 28 MB backup. I'm not sure if thats good or not - having nothing to compare it to - but I don't plan on using shell access for anything at all aside from database restores...

Anyway, I've picked their level 3 host package. Just over 7GB space, 192 bandwidth plus all mod cons. All for $19 a month due to their special sale which ends febuary.

It seems - with all due respect, sikhphilosophy - that for $13 a month and your only getting 3GB space, that your getting ripped off, or at least, those prices seem high. Of course, I can only comment on those, maybe you have something else such as loads of sub-domains/databases etc?

PerfectSQL

Server Admin
I recall seeing a few negative posts about registry recently on a few hosting forums.

Lee Davies

Habitué
Even if that is indeed the case, my personal notch has just increased a tad.

They e-mailed me warning of all the latest vunerables in scripts their users could be using. The recent vunerable in awstats, the one in 'Moveable Type', and it even reminded people about the flaw in phpBB too.

Out of the past several hosts I've been with - not one has done that.

Neutral Singh

SPN Administrator
Yeah I have been to WHT and from there i got this impresssion that people had more good things to say about hostrocket than dreamhost... dreamhost, although, awesome in their packages are very slow server wise... probably due to overselling... and they themselves (a reply from dreamhost) agreed there servers are getting slower...

The most important remark that is tilting the balance in favour of hostrocket is that their servers are really fast and worldclass and being on vbulletin forums, i am looking for a really fast server to host my relatively small site but potentially a very big website in coming future...

Dear Lee, i 100% agree that its a bit costly affair as far as webspace is concerned but whats the use of all this space if i can not offer my members a fast website with slow navigation etc. i think when i will need that much space to consume as offered by dreamhost, then most probably i would be needing to upgrade to a dedicated server to make the access really fast. I will love to see a forum using that much resources on a shared server... if anybody has such a website, i will love see that site... my options are still pretty much open... :)

My forums are basically search oriented, where new members come and surf for older posts and then present their views that needs a fast server. Dreamhost only lost out on their acknowledging being slower server-wise...

Regards

Sartan

Aspirant
I've been with godaddy.com for about a month now. They looked really great from the outside, but now I'm trying to find another host. They do not allow users to chmod any files or folders they upload. They also don't allow you to enable the get_ini file in the php config file for your server. Which means that many functions of vbulletin won't work for me on their servers. Upon talking to customer service, they told me that they actively block many functions used by most forum scripts and only allow full use of the forums they designed on their servers. I lost my temper with them and are currently leaning towards hostrocket for my vbulletin board.

WebsiteMaven

Marine
Host Excellence has a good $2.95/month plan if you're looking for basics. It's owned by Ecommerce that runs ix Web Hosting and has been around for years.

Globat is another solid choice for $4.95/mo you get 5 GB space, 75 GB bandwidth, and 5000 pop e-mails.

MidPhase has a $7.95/month that offers unmetered bandwidth. It's run by Zak Boca who used to own the ratemyhost.com website.

Raitsa

Aspirant
My vote goes to www.dreamhost.com

If you are looking for an affordable, reliable & fast webhost for your website, i advice you to check them out, I´ve used em without any problems or interruptions worth mentioning since April 2000 with my VB + other sites, 2 thumbs up from here.

And should you decide to join in, your referrer happened to be mraitio thanks :)

7.95$/month gets you the following at dreamhost:
1 FREE domain registration with
w ww.yourname.com
3 full domains, 15 subdomains
2.4GB Diskspace, 120 GB monthly Transfer
600 Mailboxes, 75 Shell/FTP Users
- lots more goodies

StateDOG

New Beginnings...
But does DreamHost use cPanel? That's what I've gotten used to.