Hosting for photography forum

Faust

Enthusiast
I don't think I will move from. OvH
As I was with them before and seems to be OK. Customer service is not the best, but the rest is fine.

Joel R

Fan
If you're using a modern forum system, it might have a feature to offload storage somewhere else.

For example, Invision Community supports Amazon AWS for storage and CDN, so you can scale unlimited storage.

Faust

Enthusiast
If you're using a modern forum system, it might have a feature to offload storage somewhere else.

For example, Invision Community supports Amazon AWS for storage and CDN, so you can scale unlimited storage.

I’m using XenForo

we_are_borg

Administrator
how can they be so much cheap?
I'm not thinking to migrate from my nanos* and standards 2GB** Linode vps's as they running great but... :eek:

* 5$ month 1GB ram + 25GB without automatic backup
** 10$ month 2GB ram + 50GB without automatic backup

eva2000 what do you think about them? it can't be all that ram and disk size guaranteed... isn't it? IMHO they have to overbook.

All servers are in Germany for Strato and they expect you to do most stuff yourself support is a bit slower then other companies. But when you call there good to solve issues but in most cases a reboot is all you’ll need. In the 5 years i host with them called one time and made four tickets with them. So there not that bad price vs customer support is fair.

Papa Tango

Aspirant
Xenforo also allows "cloud" storage via Amazon S3 and DigitalOcean Spaces. Works quite well. See here:

There are other solutions as well, such as [bd] Attachment Store. However, do not deploy this if you are using XF Media Gallery...

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
We just switched to NameCheap almost two years ago.. great pricing, excellent value... they chat with you online support...very satisfying so far.

We have about a quarter million posts, 50 000 members, usually about 75 members on at a time and about 20 gb in our dbase... we have a lot of members registering for ourdownloads, and tons of images on our very large game wiki (thousands of pages) ...

all this for Namecheap's package:

Stellar Business

C$6.14/mo

C$12.29

Save 50% on 1st Year

Though for a new forum like yours OP I'd suggest their smallest package for now... its 1 .99 a month...

and when you get bigger just upgrade.

Save that money for a steak dinner bbq...
weather's getting beautiful

:)

gogo

Faust

Enthusiast
I will stay with Ovh at the moment. But for the future I will think for vps with lots of storage

Faust

Enthusiast
I have 4 gb database and 250gb storage , I think I paid around £100 a year .

overcast

Adherent
Just wondering how expensive the photo hosting would be with cloud services like amazon aws and azure etc.

Papa Tango

Aspirant
Just wondering how expensive the photo hosting would be with cloud services like Amazon AWS and azure etc.

You need to monitor your traffic--looking at what your bandwidth is and how many requests are made for photos--and rummaging around in galleries. Several tactics limit crap bandwidth usage. The first and most common is to limit views to logged-in users. The second is to use your server-side lists (including the .htaccess file) to shut out crawlers, bots, and spiders from accessing files.

Using various gallery controls, you can limit how much members upload. A slick tactic is to allow a reasonable amount for free, and then charge a premium subscription fee for greater upload and access. Plugins are available to accomplish this. This is how sites such as photo.net operate.

Once you have eliminated crawly-creepies, the access to S3 and DO become pretty reasonable, and can easily be covered by the cost of membership subscriptions--with enough left over for license updates!

Faust

Enthusiast
You need to monitor your traffic--looking at what your bandwidth is and how many requests are made for photos--and rummaging around in galleries. Several tactics limit crap bandwidth usage. The first and most common is to limit views to logged-in users. The second is to use your server-side lists (including the .htaccess file) to shut out crawlers, bots, and spiders from accessing files.

Using various gallery controls, you can limit how much members upload. A slick tactic is to allow a reasonable amount for free, and then charge a premium subscription fee for greater upload and access. Plugins are available to accomplish this. This is how sites such as photo.net operate.

Once you have eliminated crawly-creepies, the access to S3 and DO become pretty reasonable, and can easily be covered by the cost of membership subscriptions--with enough left over for license updates!

how I can limit bots and crawlers ?