Hosting for photography forum

Faust

Enthusiast
Hi. I started to think to move my forum from web hosting , but cant decide with what should I go. I checked OVH VPS , but seems they don’t have as much memory space as I want. Any recommendations please ? Thanks

we_are_borg

Administrator
If you want in Europe i can advice Strato (Deutch language) https://www.strato.de/server/linux-vserver/ but there cheap. 8 cores, 32GB ram, 800GB ssd, traffic unlimited and 500 Mbit connection and Plesk control panel its 15 euro a month. I’m a customer in Netherlands and its great cheap and good.

Faust

Enthusiast
I was looking at this one:

What do you think?

jair101

Participant
Without giving at least basic specs about your community it is like shooting in the dark. How many members, how many posts, how many online at a given moment, on which platform, etc.

And most importantly, do you think you will be able to manage it on your own?

Faust

Enthusiast
At the moment I have around 300 members.

Daily online 10-20 members. The question is for future. As I'm keeping an eye on space usage. At the moment has been used 11gb from 250.

So it's better to be ready now then struggling later.

I should be fine myself. As I'm not planning to have a massive forum.

jair101

Participant
In my opinion the Rise-1 is a massive overkill for your current requirements. My server is 2x weaker and it handles 10x online members and much bigger db. There is no point in planning for the future, most modern vps providers can upgrade your plan without any downtime, so you can upgrade as you grow. Upgrading dedicated is not as smooth, but you are far, far away from needing a dedi.

Entry level VPS is all you need for now. 5-10gbp per month should be enough. I am hesitant to recommend specific provider, in the entry level area, Ramnode, Linode. Vultr get some good reviews.

Faust

Enthusiast
In my opinion the Rise-1 is a massive overkill for your current requirements. My server is 2x weaker and it handles 10x online members and much bigger db. There is no point in planning for the future, most modern vps providers can upgrade your plan without any downtime, so you can upgrade as you grow. Upgrading dedicated is not as smooth, but you are far, far away from needing a dedi.

Entry level VPS is all you need for now. 5-10gbp per month should be enough. I am hesitant to recommend specific provider, in the entry level area, Ramnode, Linode. Vultr get some good reviews.
At the moment I’m on shared web hosting. And to be honest, I could not found any VPS with good storage space on OVH.

There are some, but I’m confused with their storage quota.

Thats storage isn’t really enough for me.

Nabix

Take a look at hostus.us
Ive been with them for years and have never had an issue.
They have servers all over the world also.

Faust

Enthusiast
Take a look at hostus.us
Ive been with them for years and have never had an issue.
They have servers all over the world also.
Checked, but their space seems to not be enough on VPS

Faust

Enthusiast
I forgot to mention, I'm looking for windows system. As not familiar with linux

jair101

Participant
But why do you need the massive space right now if you won't fill it in the next few years? Again, getting more space with many VPS providers is simply a few mouse clicks, it is not something you need to plan on in advance. Not to mention that going forward you might decide to offload storage space to something like Wasabi.

The Windows requirement kinda complicates the situation and I am not sure you know what you are getting in to :) Maintaining windows server is very different to windows workstation. Anyway, time4vps I see have some windows offerings: https://www.time4vps.com/windows-vps/ Can't advise on their reliability, but they are a popular name.

Faust

Enthusiast
But why do you need the massive space right now if you won't fill it in the next few years? Again, getting more space with many VPS providers is simply a few mouse clicks, it is not something you need to plan on in advance. Not to mention that going forward you might decide to offload storage space to something like Wasabi.

The Windows requirement kinda complicates the situation and I am not sure you know what you are getting in to :) Maintaining windows server is very different to windows workstation. Anyway, time4vps I see have some windows offerings: https://www.time4vps.com/windows-vps/ Can't advise on their reliability, but they are a popular name.

As I said I'm still planning, and researching.
I was looking at this once.

DaveL

Habitué
I had a similar look around last year for a VPS. Looked at Strato and OVH and finally went with https://contabo.com

I was on the 4.99 euro a month package which gave me Four Core CPU, 8GB RAM, 200GB SSD, Unlimited traffic. Just renewed this year and moved up to the next package which pretty much doubles everything.

Fantastic host and a very good price.

Faust

Enthusiast
I had a similar look around last year for a VPS. Looked at Strato and OVH and finally went with https://contabo.com

I was on the 4.99 euro a month package which gave me Four Core CPU, 8GB RAM, 200GB SSD, Unlimited traffic. Just renewed this year and moved up to the next package which pretty much doubles everything.

What's the difference with SSD storage?

As I'm with ovh, I'm thinking will be a bit of struggle for me to move for an other hosting company.

DaveL

Habitué
What's the difference with SSD storage?

As I'm with ovh, I'm thinking will be a bit of struggle for me to move for an other hosting company.
Smoother and faster read/write times compared to a norma HDD.

haqzore

Devotee
Many hosts will offer free migration services for you.

Not all, for sure, but it's easy to ask and could give you insight into their customer service if they're willing.

jair101

Participant
I don't think the free migration is applicable to moving to unmanaged VPS...

Kintaro

Enthusiast
If you want in Europe i can advice Strato (Deutch language) https://www.strato.de/server/linux-vserver/ but there cheap. 8 cores, 32GB ram, 800GB ssd, traffic unlimited and 500 Mbit connection and Plesk control panel its 15 euro a month. I’m a customer in Netherlands and its great cheap and good.

how can they be so much cheap?
I'm not thinking to migrate from my nanos* and standards 2GB** Linode vps's as they running great but... :eek:

* 5$ month 1GB ram + 25GB without automatic backup
** 10$ month 2GB ram + 50GB without automatic backup

eva2000 what do you think about them? it can't be all that ram and disk size guaranteed... isn't it? IMHO they have to overbook.