Has anyone tried flipping products on Amazon to Ebay?

Anders Larsson

Neophyte
Hi, I've done a research about flipping products on Amazon and selling them on eBay. Then use SwagBucks to recover a fraction of the cost.

The first question I have is about eBay listings.
Is there a limit to the number of eBay listings that you can have?
If so, how do you deal with the competition?

Second, will US citizens have an unfair advantage over people living outside the US using this method?

Basically, if you're limited to the number of listings, then you really need to know that the demand is high enough and the supply is low enough to make it worth putting it on eBay.

Maybe it only works for people that already have a website and a decent following. For example, I use Fiverr and Etsy as examples. Fiverr has a limit on the number of gigs that you can have. People resort to, for example, sending fake visitors to manipulate Fiverr's algorithm.

I published a research about Etsy a while ago to give people a clear idea of how fierce the competition is. I created a tool to scan a couple of thousand accounts, and I found that less than 3% were actually able to sell anything on Etsy in a time span of about 6 months. So the failure rate is huge, and it is just ridiculous, in my opinion, how people haphazardly recommend Etsy and Fiverr as a solution.

I really appreciate if you could provide me with more info about the 2 questions in this post.

Thank you

Nabix

With in a basic, non-business eBay account, you pay no insertion fees on 250 auction-style or fixed price listings or you can sell up to $12,435.21 in a single month. Dealing is competition has never been a problem of mine. I've been selling on eBay for over 12 years and I've never looked at another account to see what they sell or check exact price. However, to find comparable prices, I use the filter feature (show only > completed and sold items) on eBay to see what I can sell something for and what I need to purchase for to make profit.

The competition isn't even the price. Its the shipping. Shipping is expensive and will eat you alive. The hard part is finding a good price to offer while still offering free shipping. The goal is only offer free shipping (even if that means they are still actually paying for it as they cover it with purchase cost). I use the eBay USPS shipping calculator most of time. Although Pirate Ship is your best bet for larger items.

But, something to remember, there are many factors depending on the niche you are in. I deal in used video games, consoles, pc parts, etc. Really anything from the 1980s and up. I ship mainly in small bubble mailers. So, my shipping costs are really low.

Anders Larsson

Neophyte
This is Awesome. Thank you Nabix
From what I think I understand from your guidance is that you manage your shipping yourself (bubble mailers).
What about flipping products? You add the customer address on Amazon and let them handle the shipping.
The customer just paid you through EBay. You got the money that should cover everything else because you sold it at a higher price.
Thank you for nudging me forward Nabix.

Nabix

Anders Larsson I believe what you are referring too is actually called "drop shipping". Whereas you take the images from a marketplace like AliExpress and build an ecommerce site around a type of product or niche. Drop shippers also sell on Amazon and other marketplaces. eBay however does not allow drop shipping, but it can be done.

Drop shipping enables you to start up an online ecommerce business with little inventory, saving you startup capital. A great example would be t-shirts. You can create the designs yourself. Order a single sample of each design, have professional photographs taken of your shirts and place them online to sell. When a customer submits an order, you purchase the product via their your supplier and use the customers address as the shipping info.

This method works for just about every product. There are some questions you need to ask yourself, like, how are you going to handle returns/exchanges? Is your drop ship product something people are willing to wait for? Where will you advertise?

If you would like more info, I can give you a rundown of how my drop ship business was ran a few years ago.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
Selling another retailer's Amazon items on eBay isn't drop shipping. It's arbitrage.

Drop shipping is when the retailer works with a manufacture who ships the product.The retailer plays a "value added" role of actual customer support, returns, etc.

Arbitrage is tricking the customer into thinking he's buying from you when he's actually buying from another retailer and you're pocketing the spread. The customer is often screwed when the need support.

If I ever bought a product on eBay and it came via Amazon, I'd return it to the eBay seller, so they can have the headache of dealing with it.

Reactions: FTL

we_are_borg

Administrator
What is an option is looking at local shops and sell on Amazon. Look on YouTube with search like “how to buy in store and sell on amazon“

Anders Larsson

Neophyte
Thank you, Nabix for the help. I am not sure if I have enough momentum to get started, but that puts me to shame because if I don't explore things further, I never figure them out. I have to apply the things I learn.

However, the deal is that I explore this to learn and get content for my YouTube channel. I published a video which led up to this post. I don't think I'm allowed to link to my video. But it was about SwagBucks cashback. With most things, there will be some kind of problem that will not allow someone to continue who is looking for a quicker solution to make money. With most things, it will be the long run that will do the trick.

I went on BHW to find out about other issues, like eBay having no problem banning your account, and how it is almost impossible to get help. They outsource the help to other countries, and the support is paid low enough for them to pretend to know a little bit, but not too much, LOL.

Just reading about banned accounts made me lose all motivation because, along the way, I'm pretty sure I'm going to try things that I learn from YouTube and other communities. Then, for some reason, eBay will decide to ban me and they will not explain why. Then I have to go through their huge TOS information and guess what I did wrong.

Let me know if you can feel that.

Anders Larsson

Neophyte
If I ever bought a product on eBay and it came via Amazon, I'd return it to the eBay seller, so they can have the headache of dealing with it.
Thank you for clearing this up, mysiteguy. I learned that you can just use the refund/return info from Amazon and hand it over to the buyer. Not sure if that return info reveal it was from Amazon? (maybe that's the catch, why this will not work)

Anders Larsson

Neophyte
What is an option is looking at local shops and sell on Amazon. Look on YouTube with search like “how to buy in store and sell on amazon“

What if the buyer want to return the item? Do they return it to you and then you return it to the local shop. Not sure what is the smartest way.

Oldsmoboi

Fan
What if the buyer want to return the item? Do they return it to you and then you return it to the local shop. Not sure what is the smartest way.
You would re-list the item. Buying from retail shops and selling can work, but you'll need a bunch of storage space for your inventory. I stumbled on a bunch of nice Tommy Hilfiger leather wallets on clearance for $5 each at TJ Max a while ago. I bought every one the store had. You can't sell certain brands on Amazon, but you can sell them on EBay. I was able to move them for $25 each. Get a good cashback credit card or for TJ Maxx/Marshalls/HomeGoods, get their branded credit card to get 5% back and increase your profit slightly.

If you get really into it, get yourself an LLC and a sales tax account for your state. You'll be able to buy items free from sales tax and then EBay should charge the sales tax for you. In Pennsylvania where I am, that's another 7%.

$5 * 10 wallets = $50 subtotal + 7% tax = $53.50 cost of goods or $5.35 per wallet | Sell for $25 = $250 revenue - $53.50 COGS = $196.65 profit
Or without tax and get a cashback card
$5 * 10 wallets = $50 subtotal - 5% cash back = $47.50 cost of goods or $4.75 per wallet | Sell for $25 = $250 revenue - $47.50 COGS = $202.50 profit*

The primary variable will be your shipping supplies and depending on if you do free shipping or not. If you track your mileage to each store and the USPS, you can deduct that from your taxes as well.

*but for tax purposes, you still claim the full price on the receipt.

Last edited: