Has anyone ever been contacted by groupbuilder.com?

Study Force

Participant
I was contacted recently about interest in acquiring our forum. Not that I'm interested in selling, but is this legitimate?

User37935

Neophyte
I was approached too. It seems legit but the offer was derisory - they did not even enquire what my advertising/donation revenue was, before making the offer, which makes their valuation pointless. Your mileage may vary of course :)

KimmiKat

Adherent
Kind of reminds me of other companies that buy mboards. An audio forum I used to frequent alot was bought one of those companies. As for Groupbuilder the admin of a train mboard I'm a mod on said something, but he wasn't selling.

Deathstarr

Forum Owner
Looks like in 2014 they were purchased by Carbon Media. Per This release: https://www.agrimarketing.com/s/90222

Carbon Media is Vertical Scope.

So just a machine running its gears taking great communities placing ads in every available spot and most of the time killing the community.

TLChris

Administrator
Looks like in 2014 they were purchased by Carbon Media. Per This release: https://www.agrimarketing.com/s/90222

Carbon Media is Vertical Scope.

So just a machine running its gears taking great communities placing ads in every available spot and most of the time killing the community.
The press release says they bought 36 assets. They did not buy the company. They acquire communities and help keep the communities going per their own site.

dvsDave

Aspirant
I was approached at the end of 2018 by David Williams over at groupbuilder, and after hearing how much revenue my site pulled in (which was after he gave a valuation of 3x yearly revenue), he never responded back. I was never going to sell, but I did make it clear that he wouldn't get a good return for his money, simply because the site wasn't self-sustaining, I take 2-3 trips to tradeshows a year (except this year) and was well known in the industry and that's what got me my ad revenue.

sufilala

Neophyte
A couple of times, i always expressed interest and they didnt get back to me.
i suspect our forum may be too sweary

dhutch

Neophyte
I was contacted, in the form of them joining the forum and PMing me.

They correctly highlighted we are donations funded and offered 5x our annual income as a, presumably one off, payment for the site.
All current admins and moderators etc would remain in place, and no information was given as to any investment given to the site.

As a not for profit our income is equal to our running costs, in the order of around £1200 gpb per annum, so as said a pitiful offer really. Little more than a few months salary, and an amount you could easily make in ad revenue, which we choose not to, in order to remain add free.

I am not expecting to change our position or to cease being independent.

Daniel