Guests and Forums view

Madi

Espresso King
Considering that guests are all supposed to be potential registered users, how would you deal with them in the pre-registration process?

Would you prevent them from seeing forums content so that they get curious and register
or would you grant them viewing access and remain confident in that your content quality will get them to register?

Azareal

The AtomBB Overlord
If guests can't see the content then, they won't care about your community enough to register, assuming that they arrive in the first place.

Bozza

Enthusiast
I hate sites that limit or completely restrict access until registration has been completed. As such, I have never implemented this on my own site.

My concession is that ads are more intrusive for guests (in-thread, primarily) with a message that less intrusive ads are one benefit of joining.

I get more Adsense income from guests than registered users so I see it as a fair compromise.

davemacc

Fan
I only restrict the off-topic area's.
I leave anything relevant to the forums niche visible.

I also have had a VIP style area for very senior members on a previous board, which was strictly invitation only.

NerdForum

Adherent
I let my guests see everything. The idea is that eventually they'll see something that perks their interest enough to want to respond to it.

Hangman

Tazmanian
On the larger forum I admin everything is open for guests to see. On my little 'project' as per my signature, the only part which is hidden is the troubleshooting/advice forum; guests can see the thread titles but not the content - I felt if I was posting in a forum such as mine I'd want an extra level of anonymity, especially if someone is in trouble/has some issues they'd prefer not to be searchable or be viewable by the world.

eldritch1969

Adherent
guests can see the thread titles but not the content
Same here. They can see the various boards in the most crucial area and some of the posts from these at the top, in the latest posts space. They have to register to see the members' posts in this crucial area.
used to have all boards available for guests but there were no registrations. Soon as I closed some boards, people joined.

Hentai

Enthusiast
I think it might be bad for search engines.

One effective method I have seen is the text is visible but in order to see signatures, links, or rich media they must be logged in.

Said members might not ever post anything but it should up your registration if your posts have a lot of interesting or required links/media.