guest restrictions

JeffW

Aspirant
Let me ask this, what do you all think about restricting guests viewing certian forums?

I had things set up where they could read just enough forums to hopefully get thier attention, show that its a nice place and hope they join..and it has worked for the most part, I have gotten a lot of members this way, and several have turned into regular posters..but recently i am thinking of making everything viewable to the general public, as in guests can read everything..is it maybe hurting to restrict guests? your opinion please.

JanS

Enthusiast
I would say open it up to all. Countless people just find forums through search engines and even if they don't sign up, they will find your forum useful, much like a regular site without a forum :) It is visitors you want right? :D

popowich

Enthusiast
I leave them open and no posting, but have all of a sudden (coincidence?) come across a couple forums this week hat are guest view but no post, but then have a dedicated forum for guest posting to ask questions and stuff. I'd think these would get a ton of spam. Is there any actual real benefit to a guest posting section?

-Raymond

JeffW

Aspirant
I dont allow guests to post, The way I look at this is, i built a forum and i am trying to get members, so if they wanna post they must register.
I had restricted guests viewing of my forums because of another forum that comes over, they see who is registered on my site, if its a member of thiers they go back to thier site and threaten them with banning if they continue to be active on my site. Forum wars benifit nobody, i will not get caught up in one, and try to nip it in the bud without hurting my forum, but it can be pretty tough.
a lot of time has passed and I think the staff and owners of the other forum has given up, so i opened up my forums agian to guest viewing. I will see how it goes i guess, hopefully they have grown up and start acting thier age.

Baldilocks

Fanatic
Things I don't allow guests to do:

1. Post Messages
2. View User Profiles
3. View User Photo Albums
4. Play the Arcade
5. Enter the Chat Room

Other than that, the forum areas are viewable and readable with the exception of private forum areas.

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
Some admins employ mod to limit topic viewing, or when a guest clicks a topic they see part of it. So they must register to read everything in whole. Generally, having good guest restrictions will cause those guests to join the forum.

Therapist

Neophyte
Thats how I joined this forum. To read the articles, but I couldn't read too many because I was a guest. Good trick.

shawnhartwell

Habitué
I use the 'limited guest viewing' along with 'welcome headers' but I feel that it has not helped. I have plenty of members(42) but yet, most are not active.

phreakwars

Wakka Wakka Wakka
Just keep one thing in mind however it is you decide to setup your forum for guests.... if your guests don't see it, the spiders don't see it either.

Flamey

Aspirant
I now have all but my private forums viewable by guests due to spam, but they cannot post in any but the spam forum I set up. Funnily enough, since that forum has been created I haven't received any spam.

Guests cannot use any of the other functions either, and most definitely cannot view member profiles. I have a guest announcement box at the top of my forum inviting guests to join and enjoy the advantages of full access to the site. It's worked so far :)

ekantnl

Aspirant
My guests can start a thread, but not reply to posts. I have installed Check4SPAM so inserting links is not possible. In this way guests can post a question, but not reply if a member replies to their post; they first have to register.

Also, I have Vtube installed and guests can not view it. Just to make them curious and who knows they might sign up.

Also I have activated the limited guest viewing so after 5 pageviews the forum locks and can be unlocked by registering.

Guests can view profiles. Should I lock this for guests?

zacarias

hi! Technotic Owner
Guests making threads.. sounds interesting. What software are you running?

Ross_L

Aspirant
On my music forums, I restrict guests from seeing links so that they have to register to see the download links. Once I installed that, I noticed registrations / posts increased.

I may test run the guest posting and see how it goes.