Growing a photography forum

Faust

Enthusiast
Hello. Hope everyone is well. Quick question, is there any photographers here who is interested to grow a photography forum ?
The forum is generally based on macro photography, what’s makes unique is access to resources.
Is someone is interested, do PM please to discuss further . Thanks.

DigNap15

Enthusiast
Why pm?
Whats the name of your forum (link)
Macro photogarphy
I used to have a macro lens but I sold my old Nikon F mount stuff
But now I have a Nikon D5500 but no macro lens.
I would like to get one.

Faust

Enthusiast
Why pm?
Whats the name of your forum (link)
Macro photogarphy
I used to have a macro lens but I sold my old Nikon F mount stuff
I would like to get one.
At the moment the forum is still in maintenance. But looking for someone who is photographer too and has passion for macro photography or photography.

BTW, you already having a forum, isn't it p?

Ingenious

Fan
I would like to get one.
Have you tried a lens reversing adapter (available for very little cost off Ebay or Amazon etc) and use your existing kit lens backwards? It works quite well if you don't yet have the funds to buy a proper macro lens.

Faust

Enthusiast
Have you tried a lens reversing adapter (available for very little cost off Ebay or Amazon etc) and use your existing kit lens backwards? It works quite well if you don't yet have the funds to buy a proper macro lens.
Don't really believe in this technique, I heard it, but it's better to buy a proper macro lens.

Ingenious

Fan
Sure, but you can get some good results with it, and you can really hone your technique and get used to (or annoyed by) the shallow depth of field. The point really is that you don't need to spend $$$ to dip your toe into macro photography. Unless you're a snobbish community that doesn't embrace this, but for me it's about the final photos you create not how much you spent on a lens.

Faust

Enthusiast
Sure, but you can get some good results with it, and you can really hone your technique and get used to (or annoyed by) the shallow depth of field. The point really is that you don't need to spend $$$ to dip your toe into macro photography. Unless you're a snobbish community that doesn't embrace this, but for me it's about the final photos you create not how much you spent on a lens.
Highly agree here with you. But instead of buying to many crap from ebay, I prefer to buy a proper lens for the job which will last longer and will get good results. You know the expression right tool for the right job :). I know sometimes you have to improvisate.

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
Highly agree here with you. But instead of buying to many crap from ebay, I prefer to buy a proper lens for the job which will last longer and will get good results. You know the expression right tool for the right job :). I know sometimes you have to improvisate.
Depends also on the intended usage; somebody doing it as a hobby or 'just for fun' would be ill advised to spend money on high dollar lenses or gear. Yeah, there's the prosumer demographics that might spend the money on some good glass but an "average" person could still enjoy doing some macro work without going broke.

Faust

Enthusiast
Depends also on the intended usage; somebody doing it as a hobby or 'just for fun' would be ill advised to spend money on high dollar lenses or gear. Yeah, there's the prosumer demographics that might spend the money on some good glass but an "average" person could still enjoy doing some macro work without going broke.
Yeah, that’s true. Personally own some premium glass, and agree , good quality glass isn’t cheap. That’s up to personal preferences and needs.Anyway we are off topic here :)

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
Yeah, that’s true. Personally own some premium glass, and agree , good quality glass isn’t cheap. That’s up to personal preferences and needs.Anyway we are off topic here :)
Is the topic not about growing a photography forum centered around macro shooting? If so, then being open to all levels of photographers would be pretty much on topic unless you're looking at concentrating on only macro photography at the pro level.

Faust

Enthusiast
Is the topic not about growing a photography forum centered around macro shooting? If so, then being open to all levels of photographers would be pretty much on topic unless you're looking at concentrating on only macro photography at the pro level.
My forum is basically based on all levels of macro photography. But other photographers who shooting birds or wildlife are still welcome :).

Ingenious

Fan
My forum is basically based on all levels of macro photography
That's good. I'm certainly not saying that a lens reversing adapter is better than a dedicated macro lens, but it might be a great solution for some people. If you cover macro at all levels including adapter and point and shoot, then you'll cover a larger base of users and be beginner friendly. You can then have members who go on the journey, from lens adapter to proper lens. The skills you learn to master with the lens adapter - needing lots of light, a tripod, stacked focusing etc. - will all carry on to the lens when you buy it.

And for the record, I spent $300+ on a macro lens and found it a PITA to use and eventually sold it as it was good for little else. I love doing macro on my Panasonic TZ97 now which costs less than most lenses for my DSLR. I may try again with a decent lens (I am looking at one of the Laowa lenses) once the Coronvirus lock down ends.

Faust

Enthusiast
That's good. I'm certainly not saying that a lens reversing adapter is better than a dedicated macro lens, but it might be a great solution for some people. If you cover macro at all levels including adapter and point and shoot, then you'll cover a larger base of users and be beginner friendly. You can then have members who go on the journey, from lens adapter to proper lens. The skills you learn to master with the lens adapter - needing lots of light, a tripod, stacked focusing etc. - will all carry on to the lens when you buy it.

And for the record, I spent $300+ on a macro lens and found it a PITA to use and eventually sold it as it was good for little else. I love doing macro on my Panasonic TZ97 now which costs less than most lenses for my DSLR. I may try again with a decent lens (I am looking at one of the Laowa lenses) once the Coronvirus lock down ends.
I was looking at Laowa lens too. Unfortunately that's way to expensive.. Its over $1000.

Hope I get my forum a bit popular. Also having resources available for download like Photoshop actions, brushes, lr presets etc.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
Interesting thread. Faust I hope you plan to be a little more relaxed in your forum, if you want it to do well. If the topic is macro photography, it shouldn't matter what people use to get the shots, should it? You seemed a bit quick to criticize the idea of a reversed lens.

I have a macro lens for one of my cameras and love taking photos with it. But I have also used the reverse lens technique as well as closeup adapters, and even have a bellows attachment. All produce interesting shots, which is the goal.

Faust

Enthusiast
Interesting thread. Faust I hope you plan to be a little more relaxed in your forum, if you want it to do well. If the topic is macro photography, it shouldn't matter what people use to get the shots, should it? You seemed a bit quick to criticize the idea of a reversed lens.

I have a macro lens for one of my cameras and love taking photos with it. But I have also used the reverse lens technique as well as closeup adapters, and even have a bellows attachment. All produce interesting shots, which is the goal.
Hi. Yes I know, no matter what lens you use, important is the end product. But from an other point is you will find yourself a bit struggling with reversing techniques, this is just a guess, never tried myself.

Anyway, If you are shooting macro you are more then welcome to join my forum if you want :).

CyberJoe

Enthusiast
I think your subject focus might be a bit narrow for a forum to thrive, you may have to expand to several photography fields, from an amateur tog and forum owner.

DigNap15

Enthusiast
Yes there is a thread on here by a guy with an IR photography forum who is struggling to get regular posts.

Faust

Enthusiast
I think your subject focus might be a bit narrow for a forum to thrive, you may have to expand to several photography fields, from an amateur tog and forum owner.
The main forum is about macro photography, but other fields are still welcome and discuss.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
I disagree with idea of branching out. Keeping a narrow focus is what can distinguish your forum from others (rather like macro photography itself). Macro is one of those things that everyone with a camera tries, with mixed success. There are a lot of different factors that go into making a really good macro photo -- more than enough to fill a forum or two. While it isn't a forum, just look at Strobist. Who would guess a site about flash photography would be so popular?