Gopher for SMF

vbgamer45

Adherent
What is Gopher you ask? Wiki
Gopher is a communications protocol for retrieving information such as documents from IP networks.
It is an exciting technology used by thousands of people world wide!

In my opinion, Gopher is what google wants AMP to be but is 20 years ahead of it’s time. It makes the perfect alternative, providing fast browsing without any advertising/javascripts to slow you down! Think of the SEO value.

Below is a recorded demo of Gopher in an SMF based system with createaforum, but you can also check out in real-time using your own Gopher Client

If you are super excited about this like I am and want this for your forum let me know! I have put over 30,000 forums into our gopher directory already! Other cool gopher related features are coming soon! Mainly a proof of concept to enjoy.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
Both AMP and Gopher aren't needed. There's no reason a web server can't send out lean stripped-down pages.

But people, in general, don't want a 1990s Internet. Gopher has been and will be, an extremely small niche since the web overtook it in 94 or so. I remember when Mosaic came out... there was little reason to keep using Gopher.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, just realistic. You'll never find a large audience for Gopher servers these days. There are many things about the early days of the Internet I fondly remember and wish we could go back to. Gopher isn't one of them.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
Pleroma also has a Gopher interface. It is a Twitter-like software.

I don't know why, but it is getting a little resurgence in some circles. Nostalgia?

vbgamer45

Adherent
Both AMP and Gopher aren't needed. There's no reason a web server can't send out lean stripped-down pages.
I agree I can't stand AMP...

But people, in general, don't want a 1990s Internet. Gopher has been and will be, an extremely small niche since the web overtook it in 94 or so. I remember when Mosaic came out... there was little reason to keep using Gopher.
Yes, this is just a fun project, I saw an article on Gopher and then decided to see if I could create it.