Getting your forum listed in DMOZ

quentin

Habitué
quentin submitted a new Article:

Getting your forum listed in DMOZ

Being a DMOZ editor for 2 large forum categories, I have to review a lot of submissions. I can see the best and the worse in these submissions, the bulk of them being closer to the worse. In this short article I will describe how dmoz works, what editors look at when reviewing submissions, and provide a few tips, dos and don't for getting your forum listed. Some of those tips are general advice, others are more specific to forums.

What is dmoz ?

DMOZ, or the Open Directory Project, is a human-edited hierarchical directory. The footer currently states

over 4 million sites - 65,264 editors - over 590,000 categories

which makes it the largest human (and volunteer) edited directory on the web, even though many of the listings are not up to date and many of the editors have become inactive.

Why being listed in dmoz ?

While not many people use dmoz as a search engine (which is too bad because searching for a category often produces relevant results), it has a direct consequence on the traffic to your website. The reason is that DMOZ has a high Google PageRank (read this article to learn more), and getting a link from one of its categories will bring you benefits in all search engines. These benefits are increased by the fact that many sites use DMOZ's data (available as XML dumps) to feed their own directory, the most well known of these being the google directory (which link may even be more beneficial than DMOZ's).

So why is the need for an article ?

Getting listed into dmoz is not as easy as it is to enter Google or Yahoo's indexes. For those you basically just need a link from an already indexed site, but since the open directory is manually edited, your site will be manually reviewed, and may get rejected.

The process of being approved can be very frustrating. It can take months before your site is just reviewed, and that does not mean it will be indexed. This because the number of active editors is much lower than the number stated above, and because of the huge amount of submissions the directory receives. The backlog of sites waiting to be reviewed in some categories is massive.

However a huge number of unreviewed sites or a not-so-active editor are not the only reasons...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

DChapman

Devotee
Great article quentin. Thank you for sharing your first hand knowledge and insight.

DigitalD

Neophyte
My experience with dmoz has been completely messed up. I've gotten many sites very successfully ranked in Google without dmoz's "help", and when I tried to submit my sites to dmoz in spring, nothing happened. I checked the status of my submissions on their message board and they tell me I should wait half a year before asking again and so on.

Seems to me like they're just in the business of aggravating people by letting them wait and instead of accepting or reviewing submissions, most of them are on the forums telling people that their submissions still havent been reviewed.

Whereas the sites that they have indexed for my category are pretty basic and I even volunteered to become an editor for a category, but of course I got refused.

I've more or less given up on dmoz.

Edora

Participant
Well, it is maybe a hard and difficult job, but with over 60,000 volunteers things should be running smoother.

And otherwise, hard to say, but they do not deserve that big name they have.

quentin

Habitué
but with over 60,000 volunteers things should be running smoother

60000 is the number of editors all-time. There are far less editors that are active as of today.

Scribbller

The dude
Ok what happens if my site belongs to a category which does not have an editor what do I do in that case because I applied for editor position in that category but was rejected on the grounds that my site belonged to same category?

Ian Griffiths

Habitué
DigitalD said:
Seems to me like they're just in the business of aggravating people by letting them wait and instead of accepting or reviewing submissions

Of course they are not, regardless of how it seems.

teamrocket

TheKyle.ca
Scribbller said:
Ok what happens if my site belongs to a category which does not have an editor what do I do in that case because I applied for editor position in that category but was rejected on the grounds that my site belonged to same category?
That is NOT a legitimate reason for an application rejection. Editors can have their sites in the directory, they just have to use the dmoz affiliations database and not do any vanity editing. Take me for an example. I host a Team Rocket site (Seleulc2's Red Rocket Base, just in case anyone wants to know), but I am an editor on the team rocket category. If they rejected you on that, contact staff@dmoz.org because that is a violation of the guidelines.

rex_b

Fanatic
DMOZ is done with in my opinion, and overrated. Spend your time somewhere else.

MGM

vBulletin Guru
That's a great article... will have to look into that when I get my site finished

MGM out

Scribbller

The dude
teamrocket said:
Actually, dmoz has big potential, that's for sure! :tup:

Apart from high PR pages I dont think there is any reason to work hard on getting your site listed, this maybe the sour grapes talking but that is what I have come to know.

criscokid

Neophyte
You will not be informed if your site gets rejected.
Submit once, and if nothing happens after 3 months, go to resource zone, a public forum maintained by editors where you can get your site's status. Read the rules there. Then enquire about your site's status, and take action depending on the answer you get.

The link to 'the resource zone' at www.resource-zone.org isn't working - error 403 :banghead:

PalePhoenix

Prince of Dorkness
This thread is a tad old, and I won't repeat myself, but I've found the lack of standards and feedback disheartening. While it should go without saying that if DMOZ told me to do something in return for having my site listed, I would certainly comply, but of all the expectations presented above, I would appear to have met them, and yet to no avail. Meanwhile, far less "active" or "original" sites don't seem to have the same problem. Perhaps, I am looking for logic where there is none, or a logic so arbitrary and subjective that if no one can hold them to account, they really shouldn't wield as much power and significance as they do.

Phooey

Participant
I whole heartedly agree with PalePhoenix. I submitted my site several months ago. I meed or exceed all of the standards listed in this thread with the possible exception of post count, depending on the standards of the editor, but I've still got 7500+ posts, 280+ members, and an average daily post count of about 8.5, which, in my eyes, is obviously not a huge board or even a large one, but it's growing and for its size is very active and has a wide range of content.

Likewise, I do webdesign and SEO professionally and I'm having trouble getting legitimate businesses with well designed webpages, consistant 3-5 page ranks, and easy navigation to get listed in DMOZ.

I love the concept behind DMOZ and would like to see it succeed, but it just looks like its going downhill.

MJMoore

Adherent
If my understanding is correct, DMOZ was designed to be a directory, maintained by editors who each knew about their own area. The idea is that they would collect together the sites they knew about, and thought would add quality to the directory. It's primary purpose wasn't to simply accept sites that webmasters submitted.

For example, I run a website about talipes (clubfoot), and that was my first ever little category. The idea was that I knew about the area, and had already started to build links with other relevant sites. Therefore, I could add them to the category. I still edit that little category.. some of the sites have been submitted, reviewed and accepted, but many have been added by me without a submission.

(Please don't 'flame me' :))) about how things have changed, how it doesn't work now, people pushing their own sites etc.. I'm simply trying to give a different way of looking at it.)