Getting Users to a New Forum?

Joel R

Fan
CHIP is a broader framework to starting activity and building an audience:

Most of the answers above are "content," which is one valuable and common digital strategy. It leverageds the power of search engines to funnel organic traffic to you. But I want to emphasize that there are other methods out there too, depending on where and how you can interact with your audience.

Best wishes to building your userbase!

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Given that it wasn't specified what niche or interest was being represented, it was hard to give any advice other than the only thing that can legitimately be described as common to *all* community types...

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
Surely, people here aren't just talking to themselves for 2 years, hoping some of that content becomes indexed and ranks as the primary strategy to onboard new users.
Unless you have access to some real world organizations or groups pertaining to your forum subject area, then yeah, that's pretty much your lot. Until you build some sort of audience, you need to provide all the inputs yourself. That's why building a body of quality, relevant content is so important.

People will stumble on your forum as a result of searches on things they're interested in. Most will take a quick look and go on their way. However, if you have some good, engaging content in your forum (again, it can be fake accounts discussing things or longer informational / editorial posts) you might hook a couple of them into coming back for a second or third look. Eventually, one or two will be enticed to make a comment of their own. It's a process that takes a lot of time and dedication.

You can try trolling social media, hoping to bring people to your forum. Or you can be more active on other forums in your niche (I assume you already are a member of them), though most forum managers are paranoid and won't let you link or even mention your "competing" forum. For the most part, that's fishing in a dry lake.

For the record, I think you can start and run a standalone forum. I also don't think you need to play word games hoping for better SEO. That, in my opinion, was a part of what got forums down-ranked in search engines in the first place. The only real SEO power you need is plenty of good quality content.

DigNap15

Fan
And when you get someone to look at your forum.
You then have the task of getting them to spend a bit of time on, and then register, and then hopefull post on it.

Zero Numbers

Adherent
I said stuff that gives people empowerment. When I say that, what do I have in mind? I mean stuff like where did people/humans come from and how did life get created. A lot of people don't care about this. Those who do, are mislead by some quack giving them wrong teaching. Something like what I'm pointing out is important to know. Then there's a lot of many other interesting to know about.

DigNap15

Fan
Do many forum owners enable the "Share" button
I was advised to remove it.
But I think I should re-instate it, it could be another way of getting people to look at our forums

Blanco

Participant
I was advised to remove it.
But I think I should re-instate it, it could be another way of getting people to look at our forums

What was the reasoning behind the advise to remove it?

DigNap15

Fan
What was the reasoning behind the advise to remove it?
One of my advisers, advised me to, and I wanted to tidy up the appearance of the fourm. And I was new to running my forum two years ago.
Also I had not heard of any of my members using it.
Do you think its a useful feature, and one that I should put back.
I mean if one of my members wanted to put a link to one of my forum threads, they could just do a copy and paste into Facebook etc.
What is the advantage of the Share button?

zappaDPJ

Administrator
What is the advantage of the Share button?

The only advantage would be if they get used and statistically mobile users never use them at all. I can't cite a source but I'm sure you'll find some supporting evidence on Google. I believe PC users occasionally use them, possibly because of the bigger view port size.

I'm not by any means an authority on such things but I don't see much use for them on a forum unless you've got blog worthy content.

benFF

Neophyte
I mean if one of my members wanted to put a link to one of my forum threads, they could just do a copy and paste into Facebook etc.
If they're using the pwa site on mobile there is no address bar remember...

DigNap15

Fan
If they're using the pwa site on mobile there is no address bar remember...
I did set up the Xenforo PWA on my forum, but I dont really undertand it, and I dont know if it works like you say it should.

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
What I tend to do is get onto my new forums and just start posting content.

Maybe all the content at first is you. Treat it like a blog instead of a forum. It's a good strategy!

Just focus on the best content you can create. Ask questions that would make you want to answer. Be a little controversial if it helps.

Write, write, and write some more. When people start seeing it, and you're adding your best content, they'll probably start joining.

Another idea would be to buy forum ads. Buy ads from the websites where members will actually be...other message forums. You advertise to actual forum lovers while helping out your fellow forum owner. Win-Win in my opinion.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
The hardest part I imagine will be acquiring new users.
The prior existence of active communities built on top of inadequate platforms gives you a pool of powerusers to pick from, coralled in one convenient place.

You can also invite underappreciated people from there to your own site, as well as controversial/banned ones looking to prove themselves.

The difficultly is really in acquiring visitors. Only once you manage to secure repeat visits can you hope converting those into community members. People's attention spans art short now, something needs to quickly hook them after the initial visit. A curated frontpage only limits exposure to informational 'noise'.

We generally disable widgets in favour of browser and OS-level sharing. Limits visual clutter, pages load slightly faster and its more privacy-friendly.
Those also enable readers to share more directly with specific individuals and across services you might not even have specific implementations for, like whatsapp, LINE and ones whose account is actually a phone number.

Splinter2

Participant
Content is king and new, relevant content is all-important. No one likes graveyards.

DigNap15

Fan
Content is king and new, relevant content is all-important. No one likes graveyards.

"Content is king" and "no one likes graveyards"
But is content an article on a subject or a discussion on that subject?
I am looking at ways of re-arranging my home page so that the latest threads are more visible.
I have about 25 to 40 new threads started every day, so that should keep many visitors and guests interested.