Getting and Managing Traffic The Cheap Way

The7thSage

Adherent
The7thSage submitted a new Article:

Getting and Managing Traffic The Cheap Way

Getting Traffic The Cheap Way

A Guide by The 7th Sage

Hello TAZ members today i'll be giving you some tips and tricks the way you can get some traffic to your website and forums. These methods are cheap and do not cost any or little money to get you started. Most methods stated here are white hat and will be accepted by search engines.

Choose the right domain name
Domains are very important since they are a source to reach your website. Always choose domain names that have a higher chance to appear in search results. If you choose a catchy name like "Godaddy" its completely random but catchy. If someone asks me a good domain registration site the name "GoDaddy" will come to my mind immediately.
Names should also be brandable "www.buydomainfromhere.com" sounds annoying and prevents lazy users from typing such a long name also not brandable. One problem of choosing a long name is many users can't type in english, the more the spelling mistakes the lesser chances of them visiting your site. Don't use hyphens in your domain name, it doesn't cause any problems in seo but users might forget where to put it.

Using subdomains for a part of your website also looks professional. Like

website.com is your main website page. If you have an additional forums on the site then instead of using this link website.com/forum/ a subdomain www.forums.website.com would look good anyday. Cpanel 11 for the win.

Try to get a TLD (Top Level Domain) like .com .org or .net. The rest I don't recommend them unless you are low on income or plan to host website in a specific region. For a restaurant website in UK it would be better to use a website.co.uk domain than website.com domain.

Less Advertisements
Unless you are low on income or want to make your website self dependant only then put advertisements. You can put popups not too many just 1 per session. Most browsers block popups anyways so banner ads are better to earn.

Some are are :
Google Adsense
Smowtion
Adbrite
InfinityAds
Clicksor (some popups contain malware on this site)

Submitting sitemaps

Sitemaps are nothing but a blueprint of your website. It helps search engine spiders to get a direction of crawling. Best part about this is you don't have to make any manually, today there are lots of sitemap...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Krisstoffer

Aspirant
Could not agree more in regards to choosing the domain, many people get caught up on the concept of making the domain applicable to what they happen to be selling which sometimes makes sense and is great if you can get a domain that is super applicable i.e you site is related to hosting then hosting.com is a great domain to have but getting such is either very difficult to likely to cost lots of $$$.

My Rule of the thumb when choosing a domain is make it pronounceable and no more than 2 syllables if possible which kinda follows the concept of most big social media sites Linked-In, Face-Book and of course the example host which is GoDaddy.

Not so sure I agree with the whole idea of 'facebook pages' I'm against sending my users elsewhere to view medium on my site, like buttons and +1 and of course youtube are great but remote content .. not a big fan of it.

Just on sitemaps too have you noticed any gain (or anyone else for that matter) in submitting video and image sitemaps ?

The7thSage

Adherent
I haven't tried submitting video or image sitemaps, since most of the content on my site is text only. But i don't think it would make much difference.

About facebook pages I never told to make one. But making facebook page or sharing site name on your wall might just get you traffic if people "like" it since more "friends" would view it. :)

Starion

Aspirant
Good info - thanks for posting.

Some of these tools & programs are new to me (and I plan to find out more)
The philosophical ideas and logical points on acquiring users and interactions are sound.

I saw the OP's intent w/ Facebook & other sites is to use them to bring users to your site, such as tossing links below video feeds, FB walls, etc. Can't see a prob. with that if not over advertising so much you loose interest in those venues.

Keep it coming!

NerdForum

Adherent
This is a pretty nice post. So far I've done everything but the youtube channel. I'm still trying to come up with ideas for that.

dferrell

Neophyte
I agree with you on everything except for the layout and design.. it always depends on the website.

The7thSage

Adherent
Any suggestions for companies to use to buy backlinks from etc.?

I really wouldn't know of any legit ones, but I think "Linkwheel" seems better. Personally I would say building them manually. Why pay for something which you can do for free and the way you want. Some companies advertise "Pagerank 7 backlinks for less $" but later you find out that they only provide backlinks in member profiles, which is not as effective as posts/messages.

71Corvette

Aspirant
Good information. I've found Facebook to be a pretty good tool, even if my forum is still rather small. I have nearly 700+ 'likes' on my Facebook page and it's amazing to see my forum activity jump when I post a link to a hot topic on my board. It's a handy tool to have!

mrjay

Aspirant
Good article, Facebook is effective, I think this is the right time to give Youtube a try.