GDPR - What does it mean for the forum owner?

we_are_borg

Administrator
This is what the EU is aiming towards - a United States of Europe; just another reason I voted to leave lol. I also believe this is another reason why a lot of member 'states' are now having second thoughts; the idea was probably a reasonably good one, but the implementation sucks bigtime.

;)

The EU should only be there for Laws so we have the same all over the EU. How its now its a monstrosity this will go wrong its just waiting until **** hits the fan.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
The EU should only be there for Laws so we have the same all over the EU. How its now its a monstrosity this will go wrong its just waiting until **** hits the fan.
Ergo my comment about them being the overall power in control and all the other nations becoming provinces/federated states and giving up their nation rights.

we_are_borg

Administrator
Ergo my comment about them being the overall power in control and all the other nations becoming provinces/federated states and giving up their nation rights.

Well its not all bad for example the GDPR is good its privacy back to the people. Phone subscriptions there not that expensive any more because they EU limited it. But other stuff like how many refugees we need to take in that is a domestic matter not EU.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
But other stuff like how many refugees we need to take in that is a domestic matter not EU
Thing is, you may find that you can't cherry pick. Give them an inch and they end up taking a mile.
Historically similar processes have occurred under other regimes.

we_are_borg

Administrator
Thing is, you may find that you can't cherry pick. Give them an inch and they end up taking a mile.
Historically similar processes have occurred under other regimes.

I predict that after the UK more will leave starting with Visegrád countries.

R0binHood

Habitué
Chat platform Knuddels must pay 20.000 Eur for storing plain-text passwords.

Apparently the platform is nearly 20 years old. One reason why they may have not used a secure method to begin with is that "the platform used a filter to prevent users from posting their passwords into chat. A more secure implementation of that feature by comparing the hashes was probably too computationally expensive back then. Instead of scrapping the feature they chose to throw security out of the window and are now paying the price for it"

feldon30

Adherent
Did trumpets sound?

Is the world a safer place?

Did we solve internet data safety?

Or is this all just another nuisance button that people click past after the "sign up for our newsletter" and "won't you try our far superior mobile app?" prompts to get to their article about the Kardashians?

R0binHood

Habitué
So far all I've noticed the a plethora of additional annoying notices on large websites asking for consent on websites I click agree agree agree to in order to reach the content, a load of crap that small businesses have added to their websites in order to conform (who knows if they're doing anything past that), and a few big companies fined relatively small amounts that they can recoup in literally minutes.

The most disturbing noticeable outcome though is the blocking of legitimate high journalistic integrity US news sources blocking their entire sites to those of us in europe. Essentially blocking the flow if important journalistic information across continents.

User37935

Neophyte
GDPR has made a lot of companies stop and think about how they were using/abusing data, and I think the principles are good for forum owners to consider from an ethical and privacy point of view. But oh dear, like the cookies crap, now we have so much rubbish to wade through when visiting a website for the first time.

Nuno

Participant
Hi

Something that I would like to clarify is related to cookie consent and advertisement.
I'm using AdX and other platforms through a Google Partner that has a consent tool that I can use. The tool list all their partners who they work with, but I would prefer a simple and lightweight consent tool like the one we have with XF.
I know that by default Google and other platforms don't serve personalized ads prior user consent, so before talking to them I would like to know a few things:

Cookie Consent Tool:

I need to ensure that cookie and privacy policy are well explained and reflects the use case for my site.
Do I need to store in my database the consent of that specific user like, date, obfuscated ip address and browser or this is not needed?

Non Personalized Ads

Since I will not change the way ads are served, they will be served as non personalized ads.
is there any inconveniente to this approach?

Advertising Partners

Do I need to list all partners that are serving ads?

Thanks

we_are_borg

Administrator
Yes you need to store all concent you as owner need to prove that concent was given. IP address you’ll need to say whats used for and how long you save it the longer the better why you’ll need it. For banned IP addresses the rule are different because you then have legitimate interest.

Adds without cookies are great you’ll do not need to ask permission for the add, lookout for cookies set by the add it self. The disadvantage is that adds are going to fetch less money.

Yes always do full disclosure this way no one can say anything also sharing data is also under law.

Nuno

Participant
Thanks for you explanation,
So, I can't use the XF cookie consent since it doesn't store the user consent.

What consent tools are you using?
I already know know Cookiebot and Onetrust
There are some open source ones oiljs that should need some work.

Last edited:

we_are_borg

Administrator
Thanks for you explanation,
So, I can't use the XF cookie consent since it doesn't store the user consent.

What consent tools are you using?
I already know know Cookiebot and Onetrust
There are some open source ones oiljs that should need some work.

You’ll need to read xf what version is compatible that version should be enough.

Nuno

Participant
You’ll need to read xf what version is compatible that version should be enough.
But since xenforo doesn't store the consent, how can this be compliant with sites that are serving ads?
Xenforo only display a notice that you can dismiss ... it will place a cookie but does't log anything.

we_are_borg

Administrator
[USERGROUP=3]Administrative[/USERGROUP] what version does store concent or is it an add-on.

Nuno

Participant
[USERGROUP=3]Administrative[/USERGROUP] what version does store concent or is it an add-on.
Sorry, I'm not following you.
I'm talking about the consent cookie record. Xenforo does not log the cookie consent anywhere so it's not a tool we can use to record the user action.