French Hate Speech Law Declared Unconstitutional

Oh!

Enthusiast
frm Please explain, exactly (and concisely), how Threadloom is acting as a 'publisher' of UGC? It is not at all clear to me how you have arrived at this conclusion.

frm

Aspirant
frm Please explain, exactly (and concisely), how Threadloom is acting as a 'publisher' of UGC? It is not at all clear to me how you have arrived at this conclusion.
By terminating a license of a user because they did not want to deliver messages curated from their site.

Delivering the messages would make it a platform.

I'm fine with them not adding political affiliation, but somehow I think calling someone an N word would break hate speech while Uncle Tom (or a "token [n word]" as aired on CNN) wouldn't. If that's the hill they want to die on, fine. But clarify it by tying the Tos and Community Guidelines together if you're going to openly terminate a license for violation of Community Guidelines when that's not specifically written in the ToS—just termination for any reason at anytime is.

I'd like transparency is all and I thought that I've made myself clear on the issue.

Not to be political, but, a lot stopped watching the NFL and basketball games when they went woke. If Threadloom feels as if alienating half of their US population's customers is financially wise, so be it: Include the Community Standards in the ToS.

Is that too much to ask?

Last edited:

Oh!

Enthusiast
By terminating a license of a user because they did not want to deliver messages curated from their site.

Delivering the messages would make it a platform.
This is still not clear to me. Which of the above? Or, if the second sentence is dependent upon the first, and if we (for the sake of argument) accept that this would make Threadloom 'a platform', how does this make them liable for the content of UGC? I really wish to properly understand how you have arrived at your conclusions. Citations of law or informed opinion would help. But as things stand, I only read assertions and conclusions with no real explanation.

frm

Aspirant
This is still not clear to me. Which of the above? Or, if the second sentence is dependent upon the first, and if we (for the sake of argument) accept that this would make Threadloom 'a platform', how does this make them liable for the content of UGC? I really wish to properly understand how you have arrived at your conclusions. Citations of law or informed opinion would help. But as things stand, I only read assertions and conclusions with no real explanation.
I don't feel the need to go back and forth with you anymore as I've stated my case for public opinion. Citing law or referencing cases serves no purpose as the majority here will not care about facts, which is apparent as only feelings have been brought to the table thus far.

I'll await an answer that's going to probably be by their legal team or a deplatform here that'll essentially answer that question and serve as a reminder for 1/2 of Americans as they want to walk the fine line of balancing one spectrum of politics with business—which as a capitalist I am all for—that could potentially hurt the bottom line (only they know their investors).

Oh!

Enthusiast
I don't feel the need to go back and forth with you anymore as I've stated my case for public opinion. Citing law or referencing cases serves no purpose as the majority here will not care about facts, which is apparent as only feelings have been brought to the table thus far.

I'll await an answer that's going to probably be by their legal team or a deplatform here that'll essentially answer that question and serve as a reminder for 1/2 of Americans as they want to walk the fine line of balancing one spectrum of politics with business—which as a capitalist I am all for—that could potentially hurt the bottom line (only they know their investors).

So, your response when challenged to provide solid information is to - metaphorically - stubbornly fold your arms and refuse to engage.

I suspect that you have not heard of Section 230(c)(2) - the 'Good Samaritan' clause - of the Communications Decency Act. Or if you have, you have misunderstood it.

230(c)(2):
(2) Civil liability

No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be held liable on account of—

(A) any action voluntarily taken in good faith to restrict access to or availability of material that the provider or user considers to be obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, excessively violent, harassing, or otherwise objectionable, whether or not such material is constitutionally protected; or

(B) any action taken to enable or make available to information content providers or others the technical means to restrict access to material described in paragraph (1).

Please respond with some reasoned arguments based upon facts and law. Otherwise, this is pointless. (I hope I do not come across as angry. Rather, it is just that this discussion has been unfocused and frustrating).

Chemical

Aspirant
When all is said and done, I tend to take a good look at the performance and implied policies of admins and mods before I join a 'community', rather than the T&Cs. It's what we here in the UK used to call the Bobby on the Beat. Get a good one and the community tends to run smoothly. Appreciate though that we should all take a good look at T&Cs, which in itself raises the question of how many forum owners just cut and paste boilerplate T&Cs, rather than crafting them to reflect how they intend to operate.

I'd like to say also that I've been impressed with how the admins here have been operating in the short time I've been a member. Generally in the background, with a gentle nudge when required.

PixelDust

Aspirant
Off-topic, you can go ahead and PM me that (as it looks like I can't PM you) and I'll join as another name so I'm not followed from here on over there (as you and I both know that's likely).

Sounds like a great place to have intellectual discussions. :)
NYCGuy76 - Me too, please. :) I'm interested in checking it out.

StaticAge

Enthusiast
I can only imagine the deals on cloud hosting some people in here must be getting from the planet they're living on.

Since this is now how TAZ is, I guess it’s time to leave again, I have no desire to be around such people.
Agreed, it seems admin type forums are a hotbed for this sort of nastiness and insanity for some reason.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
I can only imagine the deals on cloud hosting some people in here must be getting from the planet they're living on.

Agreed, it seems admin type forums are a hotbed for this sort of nastiness and insanity for some reason.
Alright help me understand something. Since when did it become a crime or an issue to have political beliefs that don't fit in with someone else's? I'm baffled at some of these responses. You for instance mentioned something about nastiness and insanity. What exactly are you talking about? Also on TAZ I think this is only political discussion that I've encountered. So enlighten me with your wisdom.