FreeBSD

wizard1974uk

Tazmanian Gremlin
Has anyone used it?

How simple is it for a novice to set up, the reason for asking is I'm going to set up a non windows box for networking at hoime.

I have heard so much about FreeBSD being the most secure offering out there at the moment. I have been reading through the online manual in quiet moments at work and I like what I see.

revolution

Aspirant
I've used it for awhile now, its my favorite of the bsd's. Are you used to a unix environment? I believe that OpenBSD is the most secure on a default install at the moment. Its is a great system imho, but it can be a bit tricky for a novice who isnt used to a unix type system. Try screamingelectron.org, it is a great site with alot of smart bsd admins. Tell elmore i sent ya :)

A

AWS

You're heading in the right direction by reading the manual. There is much too learn and any Unix OS isn't a learn as you go. Before you start you'll have to learn how to use Unix fdisk to create a file system and partition it. You'll need to know how to compile a kernel with the correct drivers for your hardware. It's a great OS as in any flavor of Unix. It has a steeper learning curve than Linux. Most Linux distros have an easy to use installer.
I've been using FreeBSD as a router for 5 years. I used it on all my servers until last year when I switched to Windows 2003.
Whatever you do don't give up. Once you get it running and experience what you can do with you'll be hooked.

wizard1974uk

Tazmanian Gremlin
revolution said:
I've used it for awhile now, its my favorite of the bsd's. Are you used to a unix environment? I believe that OpenBSD is the most secure on a default install at the moment. Its is a great system imho, but it can be a bit tricky for a novice who isnt used to a unix type system. Try screamingelectron.org, it is a great site with alot of smart bsd admins. Tell elmore i sent ya :)
I've briefly used a unix environment 13 years ago at college, but never installed anything.

Thanks for the link. :cool:

Ksilebo

Spork Fiend
When I set it up at home, it pretty much did everything for me. The only thing that remained afterward was updating everything. Its not too hard.

Darkwolf

Participant
I think it should be rather easy to use. I have used it on my old server before pretty stable as well. I would say is pretty good.

A

AWS

Ksilebo said:
When I set it up at home, it pretty much did everything for me. The only thing that remained afterward was updating everything. Its not too hard.
Are you sure you installed FreeBSD and not Linux? I haven't had to reload my FreeBSD box since the upgrade to 4.7 last year, but, it sure didn't install itself for me.
Maybe something changed since last year. I was thinking about upgrading to 5.0 and if they indeed did modify the installer to make it easier I just might do it.

Ksilebo

Spork Fiend
AWS said:
Are you sure you installed FreeBSD and not Linux? I haven't had to reload my FreeBSD box since the upgrade to 4.7 last year, but, it sure didn't install itself for me.
Maybe something changed since last year. I was thinking about upgrading to 5.0 and if they indeed did modify the installer to make it easier I just might do it.
Yep. It was FreeBSD. I guess it might be a bit harder for a novice, but the install was relatively easy, especially compared to OpenBSD.

A

AWS

I'm far from a novice. I've worked in Unix environment for 20 years and only moved to Windows last year after I retired. I just don't want to take the 6 hours it will take to upgrade and compile all my custom software for a new system after I compile the kernel with with only the options I need for my hardware.
You make it sound like it's point and click. Last time I checked and I admit I haven't installed a Unix system since last year, it didn't install itself.

A

AWS

47 actually. I love the retired life. I have a small computer shop where I build, sell and fix computers. I also do consulting work for a couple companies that were clients of the company I worked for. If I find myself working too much I put up the gone fishing sign and shutoff the business phone.

The Sandman

Administrator
AWS said:
47 actually. I love the retired life. I have a small computer shop where I build, sell and fix computers. I also do consulting work for a couple companies that were clients of the company I worked for. If I find myself working too much I put up the gone fishing sign and shutoff the business phone.
So "semi-retired" really... :Pleased:

wizard1974uk

Tazmanian Gremlin
AWS said:
So a nice easy life now then? :D