Free!

Renshaw

Keep at it!
Hope that got your attention! :badwords:

Anyway, what free software would you reccomend? -- I don't really like phpbb at all for some reason. Must be free, and not too worried if its basic!

Thanks.

MGM

vBulletin Guru
Try XMB or MyBB. I heard those two were decent enough... there are probably more im forgetting though :p

MGM out

Renshaw

Keep at it!
Only thing I don't like about phpBB is the lack of admin controls .. ..

I was looking at Simple Machines, might give them a go!

broncofan2222

wtcBB user
You should try wtcBB. www.webtrickscentral.com I think the default look is a bit lacking, but that's what photoshop is for. If you know a bit of html and css you can have gif images for the category bar instead of just a regular jpg inside of the category bar as the background. I've seen plenty that do this, they look nice. You can check out www.wtcbbstylez.com and look at their database. You have to join though to do so. If you want to see some sites using wtcBB I'll pm you with a list of about 10 sites including mine.

MGM

vBulletin Guru
broncofan2222 said:
You should try wtcBB. www.webtrickscentral.com I think the default look is a bit lacking, but that's what photoshop is for. If you know a bit of html and css you can have gif images for the category bar instead of just a regular jpg inside of the category bar as the background. I've seen plenty that do this, they look nice. You can check out www.wtcbbstylez.com and look at their database. You have to join though to do so. If you want to see some sites using wtcBB I'll pm you with a list of about 10 sites including mine.
I second that, WTCboard is pretty good for a staff of one :p

MGM out

Moncal

Habitué
I have always liked IPB 1.x for free. If you have cpanel installation would be easy, but you would probably need to find some security patches.

zix

Adherent
I would say E-Blah. It uses perl and its really fast in loading.

Lee Davies

Habitué
XMB is a very cool script, but the template/skinning system is a little lacking.

That could be because I'm so used to vB, but I'm sure with a little effect you could pull off the same effects as other vB/phpBB boards =)

http://www.xmbforum.com

Lee Davies

Habitué
Ikonboard, I remember that pre-PHP.

CGI and Perl, flatfile storage... those where the days =)

LeftWingNutjob

Enthusiast
Ikonboard has supported MySQL by way of the Perl DBI since at least version 3. I remember because I tried to sign up on one long long ago (probably 2002) and got MySQL errors.

That was slightly off topic...