Free upgrade from vb5 to vb6? Could it happen?

free upgrade from vb5 to vb6? Could it happen.

• -50% chance, even though it's not good maths

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • 0% chance, i'm a glass half empty type of person

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • 50% chance, it could happen, despite historical evidence to the contrary

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • 100% chance, and i'll bet this doobie i'm holding on it

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • 150% chance, in the interest of balance and fairness to the -50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0% chance, i'm a glass half full type of person

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0% chance, glass half full or empty, there is always room for vodka type of person

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters

beGood

Participant
What are the chances kids?

Could it happen?

I'm wondering is that premium for vb5 vs vb4.2 worth it?

My feelings say yes, the logical part of my brain says.....

vb4 to vb5 was only about 15% free, 209 vs 245.
Would they really try a different business model
I would have thought the first really stable version of vb5 will be called vb6 and you'll have to pay for it.

Am i just being a debbie downer?

Not trying to do vb down just having a little fun with a comment someone made about this.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
I'm not sure we will see a vB6 any time soon, so I would vote for 0% had the option not included the half glass empty reference, as that's not why I don't think it'll happen.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
I'm not sure we will see a vB6 any time soon, so I would vote for 0% had the option not included the half glass empty reference, as that's not why I don't think it'll happen.

I spoke to someone at IB about 6 months ago. At that time there was no vb6 being discussed/developed.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
I spoke to someone at IB about 6 months ago. At that time there was no vb6 being discussed/developed.
Yeah, I've been told the same, so as I said, I'm not sure we will see a vB6 any time soon ;) (and by that I mean I don't think we'll see any new versions of vB in the foreseeable future be it 6, 7, vB Connect Expanded or any other name they could think of.)

TrixieTang

Politically Incorrect
The current license model combined with the current state of the software and its development have proven to be... well... not so good...

They'd be better off if they switched back to the old (pre-vB4) license model and actually released software that people want to use. But, after the last 2 major releases, I can't say that I'm holding out hope for vB6 being much different from vB5.

Danielx64

Developer
Just ignore the glass reference and vote for it, and yes I just did :)

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
If IB keeps owning vBS, I could see it offering a free upgrade or a cheap renewal fee, to move people off the old versions, get them skipping vb5 and restore the financially viable licencing system of old. Especially if quality isnt an issue, as we saw that vb5 floundered when combined with huge upgrade fees that kepts adoption floating around 2%, despite the money that keeps being spent to maintain, develop and support it.

If sold, it's a mathematical impossibility unless a buyer has big enough liquidities to not just honor existing liabilities, but also forego revenue for at least a year. If you thought IB sought to monetize vB hard, it will likely be nothing compared to the carnage a new buyer would cause. Wallets will be weeping all over the world.

rudedog

Jim
LOL is there anyone left willing to give vB any money? Then again after the vB4 mess, who would have thought anyone would pay for vB5.....

With that said vB hasn't "released" a working product since vB3-ish

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
LOL is there anyone left willing to give vB any money?
Quite a number in fact.

Years back, vB found itself in a similar situation as IPS recently regarding transfers but did nothing to capitalize on the huge number of licences on the market (it should've been realized logical as soon as vBS changed the licencing system. Per-licence revenue with vB now is capped, but vBS could have uncapped it and reduced dependance on the sale of new licences if it removed restrictions on licence transfers, for a fee everytime they're transferred.

It's a model that does not increase support burdens, while revitalizing the market for unused licences going back on trade and sale, whereas now they just go unused and there is no gain whatsoever from either their existence or removal from the market for used licences.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
This was posted a week ago in the Licensed Customer Feedback section on vbulletin.com

No work has started on 6 as far as I am aware. Version numbers are just version numbers really. We just have to wait and see how it goes.
There is no vB6, and atm, no current plans on if/when we will switch from 5.1.x to 5.2.x.

The next planned releases are 5.1.9 & 5.1.10
On the other hand this was said at Forumcon a year ago.

Is there a vB6 in the works (or planned)? Any time frames?
"As of now, we are working on something that could be vB6 but we are focusing on the question of 'Should we focus on vB5 or just try to move on?'
We also are really pushing our vbulletin cloud which is the exact same software for those who don't need a lot of control but just need powerful software on powerful servers."
https://theadminzone.com/threads/forumcon-2014-coverage-discussion.116455/page-3#post-829652

If there is to be a vBulletin 6 I can't think of one reason why it would be given away free to anyone. From a business standpoint that wouldn't make any sense at all.

Danielx64

Developer

zappaDPJ

Administrator
No different from windows 10 being given out for free
I think there's a huge difference. Microsoft made $5bn profit in the first 3 months of this year and moving everyone onto a unified version of their products will ultimately lead to huge savings in development costs.

On the other hand vBulletin's profits are unknown but they have downsized to such an extent it's fairly obvious they are not good. They simply couldn't afford to give away a new version of their software plus they would gain nothing from it.

jekyll

Enthusiast
They could increase their support pricing though. Maybe that'd save them?

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
As I stated in the past, vBS' staff ignoring (or feigning to ignore) wether any work is undergoing on a 'vB6' is not necessarily an anomaly, if they are deliberately kept in the dark about it (they wouldnt need the extra burden anyway, and a separate team handles cleanroom development processes better). vB's current licencing model even encourages that, since literally every major branch needs its support cycle.

They could increase their support pricing though. Maybe that'd save them?
No chance. Support got reduced since vb4's lifetime ticket support, so its already pushed pretty far, given how vocal people have been about costs.
However under the old system, they could've maybe considered a multi-tier support renewal like IPS wisely does (cheapos renew for cheap, entrepriseses and serious cats needing much quicker support pay extra for duperpriority support).

Alfa1

Administrator
lol@
version numbers are just version numbers really
This one belongs right up there with query counts being a trivial matrix.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
lol@
This one belongs right up there with query counts being a trivial matrix.
This one can't be far behind. vBulletin's Paypal payment system is broken. This was one of the responses...

Just so you are aware, I replicated the issue today, gathered information and submitted a bug report/JIRA. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-sales-and-feedback/vbulletin-pre-sales-questions/4325586-unable-to-purchase-paypal

:confused: