Forumotion or zetaboards ???

GTB

Tazmanian
Well if it's true ZetaBoards have been banned by Facebook, thought I read somebody say it is? Then you should avoid using ZetaBoards if you're planning to use Facebook to promote your forum. Not sure if that's true or not though?

Y2J

Enthusiast
thanks but need more advices score f-1 vs 0-z

meetdilip

Tazmanian Master
I tried Zeta boards for a pet project and found that I cannot share the link in Facebook. Then I made one of Forumation which I was able to share on FB. But I think Icyboards is much better. Also came across smfnew.com .

Last edited:

GTB

Tazmanian
My view. I would not use ZetaBoards (yes, I've tried it ages ago). It's not bad looking, has some nice featues. But the URL structure is terrible and if problems using it with Facebook, not worth it.

InvisionFree - uses dated IPB forum software, it's also owned I think by same company running ZetaBoards, as the option is there to convert InvisionFree to ZetaBoards in Admin CP.

MyBB Free - It's really "too dated" a forum software now, to consider using above something like the new ProBoards V5 forum software. It's miles better than MyBB and uses better, more modern ways of doing things with jQuery e.t.c.

Y2J

Enthusiast
not other software but only Forumotion or zetaboards thanks.

GTB

Tazmanian
In that case, neither then. ForumMotion offers you to use a few forum scripts, but they are all outdated for today. ZetaBoards, already said why No.

Darth_Apple

Adherent
I wouldn't really recommend forumotion personally. It is very difficult to move your forum once you have established it with them, so if your forum outgrows what they can offer, you're out of luck for the most part. They also haven't really updated much in the last several years. Development has been pretty stagnant with them lately.

Have you considered icyboards? It is a little harder to set up a forum with them considering they are a MyBB host, but they are very powerful and have a lot of features built in. They also offer database exports for $20, which is a huge plus.

Train

Bookworm Moderator
There are a lot of options out there that would allow you to acquire a forum with all of the fixings, a much better URL structure and the ability to actually own your content besides the two in question here. I wouldn't limit myself to these two personally both from a spectators point of view and as a former user on both ends. Neither one are very friendly to use.

Y2J

Enthusiast
thanks for advice guys bu plz tell me final answer.

Y2J

Enthusiast
tahnks guys but check out mobile version of forumotion look 3rd class

Train

Bookworm Moderator
tahnks guys but check out mobile version of forumotion look 3rd class
May I ask what it was that you were expecting?
Can I also ask why you're insistent on the two choices you've provided?

GTB

Tazmanian
You might be interested to read this about Forumotion. Follow the links in the thread as well. Hmm... looks like you've stopped links to certain other Admin forums from being posted here, so will have to paste the message.

I used to have my own forum hosted on Forumotion a free forum hosting service but I deleted it myself a few months ago due to problems with Forumotion. Though I still browser their support forum regular and I was shocked to read thread on there.Which was started by another forum owner who has a forum on Forumotion,who was given a warning by Forumotion that they may delete her forum due to violation of FMs terms of service.
See here-http://help.forumotion.com/t126515-forum-deletion-warning

I don't know this admin personally and she has a watchmakers forum on Forumotion-nothing abnormal about that. What is not right is that apparently she or one of her members posted a thread on her forum which Forumotion seem to think is defamatory. And FM they have told this admin that they will delete her forum if she does not remove the posts. She says she got a warning from Forumotion in her admin panel saying her forum does not respect Forumotions TOS and will be deleted on 23 August 2013 if she does not remove the content that is breaking their terms.But Forumotion have not even told her why she got the warning from FMs litigation team or what the offending content is that she must remove.

Now that admin is very upset because she says she put 4 years hard work into her forum and has over 1000 members,now Forumotion may delete or ban her forum.And the staff of Forumotion are not the least bit helpful and just told the admin to remove the offending content. But when I browsed this persons forum as guest as I am not a member,I could find nothing that would be offensive or violate any laws or terms of service. Now this unfortunate admin stands to loose her forum and FM won't giver her the database so if the forum is deleted,all the posts will be gone for good.

Yet Forumotion treats it's customers or forum owners like children as most free forum services do. they make silly rules that have no sense. and many forum owners have had their free forum deleted or banned for no real reason. This story is a painful reminder to NEVER use free forum services if you are starting your own forum.You have absolutely no control over the free forum services.They can put ads on your forum,they can give warnings to your forum and they can delete or ban your forum.

I hope that if any of you are using free forum service that you have some kind of plan be of have got your posts copied and pasted in Wordpad or something.as one day you too might be told you have broken the terms of services of Forumotion or whatever other free forums you are using.and you too could loose your forum. That of course did not happen to me,i left Forumotion for other reasons.but now if I start a forum again I will never use free forum services.free forum services don't work.​

Last edited: