ForumFiend is no more

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
ForumFiend, one of the rare few mobile apps for browsing forums has been discontinued, after a number of setbacks apparently followed by a cease and desist letter from Tapatalk.

ai.imgur.com_tITjFiY.png

A huge shame its Github repository was now deleted, given the app was very recently opensourced, and apparently the ability to build your own app was planned.

Relevant chronology:
12 February 2015: Forum Fiend To Go Open Source
11 March 2015: New Community Forum and OSP Update
13 March 2015: Forum Fiend Open Source Has Arrived!
27 March 2015: The end of ForumFiend (dev published the cease and desist and thoughts on his site)
28 March 2015: Forum Fiend Development Has Ended

Screenshots attached for preservation.
forumfiend blog.jpg

ForumFiend Cease and Desist bastecklein.com.png

Last edited:

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
Hmmm. This is curious. But why is Forum Fiend in essense promoting Tapatalk in their goodbye letter? I have to give it to this Stecklein guy at Forum Fiend. He seems a genuine 100% CLASS ACT! I feel bad for him that all that work has effectively been lost. I don't think I'd have been so magnanimous as he was - in fact - I'm sure I wouldn't, because as he noted - I too am suspicious about TT's motives - It seems they changed up their API TOS in an effort to thwart Forum Fiends ascent to success. I wonder if there's any legal something to be said about the concept of grandfathering?

I'm a Tapatalk fan - always have been. But this seems shady as hell.

J.

Danielx64

Developer
Hmmm. This is curious. But why is Forum Fiend in essense promoting Tapatalk in their goodbye letter? I have to give it to this Stecklein guy at Forum Fiend. He seems a genuine 100% CLASS ACT! I feel bad for him that all that work has effectively been lost. I don't think I'd have been so magnanimous as he was - in fact - I'm sure I wouldn't, because as he noted - I too am suspicious about TT's motives - It seems they changed up their API TOS in an effort to thwart Forum Fiends ascent to success. I wonder if there's any legal something to be said about the concept of grandfathering?

I'm a Tapatalk fan - always have been. But this seems shady as hell.

J.
Well it could have been that we never know what really happened.