Forumer just put ads on my forum --what happened?

wageslave

InstantCommunity
I created two forums with forumer and was pleased to see that there were no ads. Today I logged in to find both were covered with Google ads across the top of the forum.

Is this normal?

:confused:

wageslave

InstantCommunity
Yes... I understand that it is free. But with the other free boards, such as board nation, they're pretty clear that you will have ads on your board.

Somehow I must have missed that when signing up on forumer and for a while the ads were not there.

Just wondering if this was normal and if so why the ads do not show up immediately.

64North

geospatially inclined
Yes it's normal, it takes them a little while to "inject" the ads into your templates.

Julio

Fan
64North said:
Yes it's normal, it takes them a little while to "inject" the ads into your templates.
Sounds like they do it manually.

dojo

Passionate admin
In the main page there's something like "ad removal" in the service listing. Don't know what that means. I still didn't see anything related to "adfree" so it might mean they will place ads on your forums. Hmm. I totally dislike this "so so" information. They should clearly state: we'll put 3 banners on your site and that's it.

wageslave

InstantCommunity
Agreed. Would make the selection process (for a forum provider) easier. As it is, I already created these boards so will probably keep them, but I really would have liked to have known before hand that they would put ads there. If the terms are --you get a free board, but we show our ads -- that's fine.... just state it upfront so people can decide.

BMR777

Enthusiast
I've seen more and more of these "bait and switch" forum hosts lately. One is EZForum. They claim no ads, but then they have on their homepage that they have one ad on your forum. It looks like Forumer is pulling a bait-and-switch too. :lildevil:

If you want free PHPBB with no ads I will host you at WebringAmerica. I started WebringAmerica as an alternative to those other free forum hosts that show ads on your free forums. At WebringAmerica we will NEVER show ads on your free forum. No catch, just free PHPBB.

Best of Luck,
BMR777