Forum Usability – Make member’s life easier

MaestroX

Adherent
MaestroX submitted a new Article:

Although this guide focuses primarily on vBulletin usability and using example directly from the vBulletin forum software, it can be applied to most forum software.

Ask yourself...

When setting up your forum, you need to ask yourself, what is it purposes and who’s the target audience. Determine the goals of your forum/community.
It doesn’t matter how cool your site looks, if users find it impractical they will head to your competitors site, which is only one click away.

Help your users

Users are impatient. They hate having to learn new site navigation. Make your navigation obvious and consistent throughout your site. For usability, it’s usually best to follow conventions rather than great new problems for your visitors to work around.

In the life of your website, some pages will be moved, disappear etc. And as your pages will still be indexed by search engines, a visitor may land on the page. Giving a well design 404 page will assist the visitor in finding what they were looking for. Including a search option, link to a user sitemap or links to popular parts of your site will give them an indication of where else they might be able to find what they’re looking for.

Cut down features, don’t add them.

One of the most common mistakes made by forum administrators is overwhelming their forums with features. More is not better in the instance.

Asking yourself the purpose and audience of the site will greatly help you filter useful features, from detrimental feature noise.

Reducing noise

By reducing feature noise not only are use helping your users by optimising their browsing experience, but you are also helping to reduce the amount of HTML you generate which will not only help improve performance and loading times it will also help your SEO by increasing the relevant keyword ratio for your pages.

Probably the most underused feature of vBulletin is the Hybrid and Threaded display modes. Most administrators choose to keep the feature active regardless that it will lie dormant and probably unused.

How to turn it off

AdminCP -> vBulletin Options ->Threaded / Hybrid Mode Options (showthread) -> Enable Threaded / Hybrid Mode