Forum to WP conversion

Goodfella

Adherent
I currently have a forum with rich content. I wold be interested in taking the content and other aspects of the forum and importing them into wordpress. Articles remain Articles, Posts to Articles ect.

Has this been done before?

Drastic

Habitué
I only know of http://gconverters.com/ but I have not used them or heard much about them.

I've been searching for ways to import XF to BBpress, then promote the threads to a post (so I can pick and chose), but seems like the only things I find are years old and possibly abandoned.

Goodfella

Adherent
Xenword might help. Check with LPH
Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded the trial and will give it a try.
I see that it can take articles and turn them into a post can it do the opposite turn a existing post into a article?

Indianparents

Enthusiast
I think it can post both ways. But you better check with LPH. I used xenword briefly but uninstalled it when LPH was sick and hence unavailable to support the plugin.

Goodfella

Adherent
So I really like what LPH has done with XenWord. Is anyone currently using this? Someone who could answer some questions for me. Looks like LPH has been a bit busy lately and has not had the chance to answer my questions.

Thank you in advance.

Indianparents

Enthusiast
So I really like what LPH has done with XenWord. Is anyone currently using this? Someone who could answer some questions for me. Looks like LPH has been a bit busy lately and has not had the chance to answer my questions.

Thank you in advance.

Better wait till he becomes active again. I had to teach my members how this works. After a few days members finally liked how it auto created threads. Just when they began to enjoy the features, support stopped. I had to remove it and it made some unhappy. So when they posted articles, I had to manually create forum thread for them because they wanted comments from other forum members which is understandable because they took the effort to post an article and other forum members did not know about its existence.

Drastic

Habitué
Know what also works well?

Have people post their articles in the forum. Then if you want to feature it on the homepage, just copy/paste it to a WP article manually.

Then place a link to the article in the thread. It's old school, but it works.

Of course, this could be fixed by using the Article addon by Bob, but you may need to make some SEO tweaks to it, but it works great and I always liked it.

I thought by now I'd see an increase in G love, but it hasn't arrived yet. I wonder if it ever will....

Last edited:

Goodfella

Adherent
Wouldn't that cause dupe content issues with SEO?
You have the option to only have a snipped go to the XF side. I'm not sure how this affects the dupe content. Would love to learn more about this if anyone has some insight.

Drastic

Habitué
Wouldn't that cause dupe content issues with SEO?

If you only have a snippet or link to the article, posted in the forum, then no. It doesn't hurt. It creates internal linking which is better and tells SE's where your content is.

Maybe have a different title for the forum thread, something a little different so there's variations of your titles on the site.