Forum Staff Promotion Guide

Laugh

Aspirant
Laugh submitted a new Article:

Forum Staff Promotion Guide

Staff promotion on a forum is a very important aspect and should not be taken lightly. In this guide to forum staff promotion I will go over who not to promote, who to promote, and when to promote.

Written for GenWebs.net - Webmaster Blog

The Do-Nots of Staff Promotion

Do not promote your friends.
Do not promote someone because they donated.
Do not promote new members no matter how nice they seem.
Do not promote members to gain traffic to your forum.

Now let me elaborate. If you want your website to go somewhere, and not just be a hang-out for a group of friends, you cannot promote your friends. It’ll look bad. You needs your staff to look top-of-the-line elite, and promoting your friends will cause problems because they’ll try and get away with things. Then they’ll have to be punished and if you punish them your friendship weakens.

Another thing I see is someone getting promoted because they donated to the website. If I donated $20.00 to a forum should I get a moderator position? Absolutely not. This is especially true for small forums because they are so grateful for a donation. This looks bad on you, and you’ll probably be promoting someone who is either under-qualified or does not even want the position.

You also need to watch out for social engineering attempts. My guide to forum staff promotion says, if you promote new users, and have you have people who do not like you, you have a problem. It’s incredibly easy to create a false resume, join a forum, PM the admin and ask for a moderator position. With some very basic persuasion you can become an administrator and the website can be ruined. Your database can be sold, forum closed, etc. This is why you do not promote new members.

The last, but biggest problem I’m going to discuss in this guide to forum staff promotion is offering board promotions to gain traffic. This is not the correct way to gain traffic. If people join your forums to become staff what happens when they don’t? You got that right, they leave! You either promote everybody or have a dead forum. You need to make people join for the quality content and community. I cannot stress this enough.

The Do’s of Staff Promotion

Do promote members with experience.
Do promote members with a genuine interest in your forum.
Do promote members who act in a professional manner.
Do promote members with...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

tbofram

That cool member
That was an amazing read and really helpful guide as I'm sure I'm not alone in making some of the mistakes you talk about. I hope other newbies read this and understand how inmportant it is to be wise when hiring staff

jabbamp

Neophyte
Good relevant information

Nice post. I will be starting my forum soon and if it ever does work out, I can see that I will need to get some help with admin. Good things to think about.

I wonder how long a period you should check someone out before giving them some admin privileges? Maybe you have some tips about that?

Thanks

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
Let me add this...

Before you promote, ask other moderators their opinion of who your considering. Often times, they have better insight then you.

Flybird

Neophyte
Very nice article. I will be running a forum soon and I have never been sure who and when to promote people. This should help in making the modding staff the best it can be. c: