Forum Softwares All Summed Up In One Photo

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
I disagree.
Agreed... I've been using XF for quite a while... and had an IPS site. The only one I brought back online was my IPS 4.2 site as it has made some great improvements in it. The XF sites may be brought back online later, but the IPS site offers more built in ability than what my XF sites did. I'm only needing to run about 6 or so add-ons to get the functionality I wanted and with XF is it was many times that.

haqzore

Devotee
The only one I brought back online was my IPS 4.2 site as it has made some great improvements in it.
Dead on.

IPS is pushing the envelope and taking risks, and I'm grateful for that.

The discussion threads on TAZ for XF2 are about opinions on the stock skin, and what addons people want updated. I think that says a lot.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
i dont get what ss 2017 is?
I think he's trying to sarcastically comment that forum software is old technology compare to what he believes should be in use now. All the ships he gave forum names to are outdated compared to the 2017....

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
lol you are right but them pirate ships were built a looooooong time ago :)
But they looked so much nicer and had more personality... they probably had a lot more death too, but still... mmmm pirates!

fixer

I'm In My Prime
thats true other than the mmmmm pirates they were some dirty and nasty fellows i imagine

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
well, we are talking about forum no?
Very few sites use only the forum portion.
Many will also use a combination of add-ons consisting of
  1. Gallery
  2. Blog
  3. CMS
  4. Pages (in case of IPS)
  5. Store (Nexus type - IPS)
  6. Articles
Pretty sure that Discourse does not have any of the above available to it. For simple discussion forums it's OK (I'm not particularly fond of it myself) - but if one needs any combination of the above on their site it's not even in the running.

Last edited:

Rafael

Neophyte
phpBB LOL

I do agree tough that the only option is XF that's similar.

HOWEVER, you're missing one: Discourse! I think it's pretty cool and more modern than the rest, tough it's a bit different form factor.

Example forum: https://ubuntu-mate.community

supernal

Neophyte
You could argue that between XF2 and IPS 4.2 one ship is better or bigger than the other but I don't think you could accurately say that IPS 4.2 is straight up a sunk ship by comparison