Suggestion Forum software website clean up

Jason5

Adherent
In Forum Software section we have different forum software section in which we have a pinned topic saying. Show us your MyBB, Post your Xenforo here etc...

Can the links in these forum be cleaned up gradually? As most of the sites closed and no more. It would be great to archive old urls and keep the active ones.

Steve

Fanatic
If you come across a dead site link report the post please. We go through periodically but it has been a while.

cheat_master30

Hmm, this makes me wonder if we could ask for an archive link in addition to the live site one in future. That way, even when the links break, people can at least see what the site did look like when it was still around, and it'll keep the post at least somewhat useful.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Hmm, this makes me wonder if we could ask for an archive link in addition to the live site one in future. That way, even when the links break, people can at least see what the site did look like when it was still around, and it'll keep the post at least somewhat useful.
I'm sure most people know about the Internet Archive and can click and search a url for themselves if they're really that curious lol https://archive.org/web/

Jason5

Adherent
I will report as much links i can. Thanks for considering this.

Joel R

Fan
Can I ask what value is there to viewing an archive of a dead site? The site is, frankly, dead.

What are you going to see from an archived screenshot of a dead site? The answer: nothing that actually matters.

You'll see a pretty theme. You see some custom group formatting. You'll see a beautiful homepage.

But what you won't see is the complete lack of value, the lack of specialized and specialty knowledge, the lack of community management interaction and leadership that are actually important in sustaining online communities.

I'm not trying to call anybody out. But if all you want is to look at pretty websites, there are a dozen themers in Invision Community with stunning portfolios. But to see the value and magic of thriving communities (which is really what TAZ should be focused on), you will need to dive down into the actual content and interaction. If you could somehow archive those best practices, that's way more valuable than screenshots of some pretty - but defunct - forums.

Russ

Administrator
Ask Me Anything
Visit
I think when the upgrade to 2.x finally happens on TAZ we utilize Showcase primarily to actually showcase sites. Isolate the number of links that are required to be checked and have a dedicated area for all communities. At the moment... people are posting in those threads across the various platform nodes, showcase, and reviews for a single site.

R0binHood

Habitué
You'll see a pretty theme.
I'm not fussed either way on this topic, but just wanted to mention that I find often the opposite is sometimes true, and from a design perspect I find that's where the value is when I look up some old sites on the way back machine. If it's an old, dead site, it's likely to be an outdated theme looks like from a previous era and I think it's interesting to see how design and UI trends have changed and progressed, or regressed perhaps, as the case is sometimes.

DigNap15

Enthusiast
Yes just delete them, we don't need an archive.
Its very annoying when you click on one to have a look and its not there.
I will report them when I see them

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama
I think you should leave them, its fun from time to time to go through and read peoples comments when they are setting up websites and see if those websites are still running or not. Personally I see no point in removing them, I mean are people really clicking those topics and starts from the first page? I doubt that very much......