Forum Software Migration/Import Ease

Pigoo

Enthusiast
I'm considering migrating my vB4 website to either Xenforo or IPS. I like to undersand all the possibilities/ramifications.

If the decison I make turns out to be not what I was looking for:

- How easy/difficult is it to import a Xenforo site into IPS?
- How easy/difficult is it to import an IPS site into Xenforo?

Thanks

Mangini

Participant

I converted my IP4.x site to XF2.1 with relative ease. The only thing I did not work out was URL redirects (though there is documentation for it),and how to save formatting in the CODE tag. Otherwise my forum permissions had to be completely redone, but all content, users, and attachments moved flawlessly. Between performing the import and configuring the new settings, plus tweaking the design, I was able to complete the migration process for my 20,000+ message board in about 6-7 hours (most spent on the design and deep diving into the new settings).[/CODE]

Doug Heffernan

Enthusiast
I'm considering migrating my vB4 website to either Xenforo or IPS. I like to undersand all the possibilities/ramifications.

If the decison I make turns out to be not what I was looking for:

- How easy/difficult is it to import a Xenforo site into IPS?

Thanks

Both softwares have a built in converter which makes the whole import process easy and smooth. Should you run into issues, you can start a ticket at the respective forum 's client area.

How big is your forum btw?

CyberJoe

Enthusiast
VBulletin 4.2.5, 300k threads, 4.2mil posts, 75k members.
I did a test migration to Invision last year, with the stats above it took almost 7 days to completely migrate.
You can get it usable within a day, but then none of the quoted posts or image attachments will show, that from what I remember is what takes time to process, and this has prevented me from migrating, still on VB, and my Invision renewal has come and gone.