Forum Promotion Guide: A weekly routine for forum owners.

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
Shawn Gossman submitted a new Article:

BY: Shawn Gossman, President of Kruzzen.com

Today, Message boards or Forums are growing rapidly in the online world being integrated to social networking services like MySpace.com and Zoints. They are even replacing the once cool real time chat room because not everyone is always in chat and messages left in chat many times go unseen but with a forum, the message stays for everyone to be enabled to read and reply to. So more and more people are creating forums but a lot of these forums go without interaction or members, unnoticed and eventually closed down due to no activity. So in this article I will discuss the best steps (in my opinion) to take every week so that your forum gets the promotion it deserves and more members have the opportunity to join.

Post Exchanging…
I am not trying to dis to premium Post Exchange service but why pay for it when others are willing to post for free with returned posts to their site. That is just my opinion on that and why I never purchase posts. The best way to get good posts is to give GREAT posts. The way I do it is act as if I joined the forum to be a regular member and if I like the forum, I even keep going back after the post deal is over. When I leave a post, I try to create new topics or keep great topics going. One line posts suck! I want to give my opinion(s) and then say something to keep the topic going. Most of the time I get positive feedback with people giving good posts on mine as well as recommending me to others. Post great and get great posts. Keep with questions and opinions and stay away from boring one line posts. One Post Exchange a week for a while would be a good way to promote your forum.

Search Engines and Directories…
Make is a point every week to submit to popular and growing-popular search engines even if you have already done it before, keep at it. Also, there are hundreds and hundreds of free link directories out there to submit your forum to. Even the small ones are good ones. Many times I go to smaller directories because small ones seem to have less spam and a lot of times the directory owners review the website links before allowing them in like I do at Kruzzen Search, my free search service. Submit to one search engine and one directory a week and increase your forum’s promotion.

Link Exchanges…
Whether your have a link directory, text links somewhere on the forum or even redirect boards, start exchanging...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Knat

Aspirant
Great article - admins should do this every week to get more members.. but some might think time is better spent on their own site.. but every admin needs a break from his own site.. its only healthy to do so.. so take a break from your own site once a week and make this routine described in the article. maybe combined with some other routines you might have already :jiggy:

spoogebeast

Neophyte
Good Tips

Some great tips there. Thanks very much.

I've just started out and getting new members by word-of-mouth.

TigerXtrm

Aspirant
Actually, repeated submission into search engines can get you blacklisted by said search engine. And even if it didn't, you wouldn't gain anything by it. The engine already knows of you site and just telling it over and over again that you exist won't change that.

Taking google as an example, you'll do much better with just using your keywords a lot and keeping your SEO as good as possible. With more visitors comes a higher search engine rating and with that come more visitors. It's a nice little circle.

Live2Die

Adherent
Very good post, Shawn. :)
Search Engine Optimization seems to be a big plus in getting decent traffic.
Also, like you said about having your link in your signature.
I have gotten a decent amount of views from having my blog in my signature on these and a few other forums. (including my Kongregate account)

Sirius

Neophyte
I'm enjoying your articles Shawn. I'm in a slightly unusual position as I don't want thousands of randoms coming to my forum and signing up, but I still want new members, just the right members. Our forum is for a special interest category.

Anyway, your topics are enlightening, as my forums has just started.

Keitho

Aspirant
wow, nice article. Thanks... I already new some of the things you mentioned though...