Forum Members to Keep Notes on Other Forum Members

enivid

Aspirant
Does any modern forum software allow forum members to keep notes on other forum members? Let's say, I want to mark some user as something like 'annoying troll' or 'expert at red widgets' I add a note on that user and can see it whenever I see that user's posts. Other members will not see those notes - each member will have their own notes on other members.

Is it possible with existing forum software or addons?

ozzy47

Tazmanian Master
I don't recall seeing anything like that for vBulletin.

enivid

Aspirant
Why? It is very convenient. Moderators/users do not have to remember things about other users but can just write them down easily.

Such a feature exists in LiveJournal, but it is not a forum software.

euantor

MyBB Lead Developer
MyBB has moderator notes you can write for a user, but as far as I remember it's limited to use by moderators and administrators. Users also have a personal notepad in the User Control Panel that allows for the storing of simple notes they can refer back to.

enivid

Aspirant
MyBB has moderator notes you can write for a user, but as far as I remember it's limited to use by moderators and administrators. Users also have a personal notepad in the User Control Panel that allows for the storing of simple notes they can refer back to.

That's something already. Are those notes invisible to everyone except the moderator/admin who wrote them?

euantor

MyBB Lead Developer
That's something already. Are those notes invisible to everyone except the moderator/admin who wrote them?

The moderator notes are visible to all moderators/administrators with permission to manage moderator notes.

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
Actually - vBulletin 3.8.x series allows usernotes:
vb-usernotes.gif

It's a profile notes system though, and doesn't readily allow the postbit sections to include whether you've made a note about a certain user. You could request in vB.org's paid requests section and have the functionality extended to include extra features.

I'm no coder - so I'm not sure how easy or difficult the task would be. But vBulletin does have a notes system of sorts already built into its featureset. vB 3.x does - I'm not sure if the functionality is still intact in newer vB versions...

HTH,

J.

dieKetzer

Adherent
i recall having an addon years ago (possibly vB 2) that allowed users to assign members to one of two faux usergroups, one called 'friend' and one called 'foe'. they each had their own postbit jazz and allowed custom titles/notes and whatnot.

enivid

Aspirant
Actually - vBulletin 3.8.x series allows usernotes:

It's a profile notes system though, and doesn't readily allow the postbit sections to include whether you've made a note about a certain user. You could request in vB.org's paid requests section and have the functionality extended to include extra features.

I'm no coder - so I'm not sure how easy or difficult the task would be. But vBulletin does have a notes system of sorts already built into its featureset. vB 3.x does - I'm not sure if the functionality is still intact in newer vB versions....

Thanks! It looks like the notes are visible to everyone with permission to read/write user notes, but I guess it is possible to code some plugin to make them private to the notes' author.

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
Thanks! It looks like the notes are visible to everyone with permission to read/write user notes, but I guess it is possible to code some plugin to make them private to the notes' author.
TBH - it's been so long since I've used the functionality - I'm not sure on the exact usergroup permissions. I did a quick google search and found https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/options_usernotes --- You might try searching http://vBulletin.com for more info or http://vBulletin.org for possible modifications to the usernotes functionality. And sure - most anything can be coded. Just gotta find the right coder for the job. There may actually be some modifications shared in the vB.org forums though - so I'd check there first.

Also - ozzy47 TAZ Moderator and owner of http://ozzmodz.com/ does some pretty amazing stuff with vBulletin. You might contact him. Anyway - best of luck finding what ya need ;)

J.