Forum Innovation - The Key to Success

needvert

Senior? Sounds Old ;)
needvert submitted a new Article:

Forum Innovation - The Key to Success

Forum Innovation - The Secret to Success

In the business world, innovation can launch a company from mediocrity to success. The same is true for any forum community. In order to succeed, you need to innovate. Whether this is your first forum, or your 10th, the only way to get ahead of the competition is to innovate.

If you are reading this, and are thinking about starting a forum, my friend you must realize that you are getting into the game at a stage where forums are exploding. There are millions of little communities that find a place on the internet. Before you launch your forum, you must realize that if it is just like every other forum out there, then you have already made a mistake. Pre-planned innovation in your forum will go along way in helping you keep members.

The first thing you should do is to scope out the competition. (Side-note: a forum that you can compete with, not one that has 100,000 members and will leave you in the dust). You need to scope out the competition in order to see how they innovate. Do they have a skin that is very pleasing? Do they have contests to draw in people? What do they give back to their respective communities? Do they have celebrity members that draw a crowd? Do they have games? Are they old and established? The list can go on forever. You need to take a pencil and paper, (yes, pencils are still useful in 2006), and write down what kinds of things your competitors, or future competitors, have.

Themes- If you can afford a custom theme, go for it. In the end, it will only help you get that edge. If not, don’t sweat it, if you can find a pleasing theme, and add your own banner, it will really help you establish an image, and draw people to your sites content.

Content- Need I say more? No, but I like listening to myself talk, so I will anyway. You need something sticky, and glue doesn’t cut it. (Lame joke, I know). Maybe your competition has no articles about your topic. Take a couple of hours, sit on your bum, and crank out 5-10 original articles. If anything, people will realize you know what you’re talking about, and start some conversation with you. See if there is a celebrity member that you might be able to contact, and tell them about your site. (Don’t abuse this however). Videos, images, and articles make up the bulk of “content”. Provide it; even if no one is looking at your site, it will be vital to building your site.

Bells- Bells defined (by me) are...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Gabriel

Carboyht
Good article, and innovation is indeed a way of survival in the world of competitions... Creativity was left out. But creativity also plays a part. And Innovation is lie creating new things.

Webministrator

Habitué
Friggin' sweet. We share the same b-day[almost]!

Could you define content though. In some peoples eyes it could just mean a bunch of posts.

needvert

Senior? Sounds Old ;)
many happy returns of the day!:birthday:

my content triangle would be as follows:

1. Discussion- (posts)- This is the hardest one to genuinely manipulate. You can talk to yourself all day, but talking to other people is the goal.

2. Articles- Write them yourself, even if you are not a great writer. These will be useful to your members and be a good portion of content.

3. Media- Video, audio, pictures etc. Try to make them useful, for example a sports forum can post videos of how to do exercises, skill videos, etc. People like watching stuff.

Yago

Neophyte
Bravo!

This is the second time I am reading this article. I admire its simplicity and directness. Very well said my friend and thanks for a trully great and informative article. Two thumbs up

Webmaster
http://www.PetHall.com
The Place for Pets and Pet Lovers

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
Hit the nail on the head. Personal innovation lends personal style to what could be considered the "same" content as seen by another. No one has what we have...our own point of view. Wielding that with constant research, testing and communication with our communities ends up with topics and fun projects that improve a site's "stickiness" and make it more attractive to return to, become a member of then contribute.

:)

gogo

Zazo

Aspirant
Helpful article to understand the meaning of innovation in forum, thanks for sharing it!