Forum Developer Referrals Please

mcmastodon

Aspirant
Admin Zone,

I have been considering whether to build my new forum myself through a platform like InvisionCommunity or if I should just hire someone to help me set up a forum with a more robust but technically complicated software like vBulletin or Xenforo, etc.

I am concerned that Invision is too limited, and that Xenforo or vBulletin or even phpBB would be a more flexible solution for me. Also, I can host those on any server, which is ideal for me as my forum will be centered around conservative values. In the current internet censorship climate, I'm afraid of doing a bunch of work, then getting my forum shutdown if I'm hosted on Invision, etc. Maybe I'm over-thinking this.

Anyway, I am asking for referrals to programming teams that build forums. Something, simple, runs well, is easy to moderate.

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

Jeremy8

Enthusiast
What do you mean by build forums? Like build custom forum software from scratch instead of using one of the big/known ones you mentioned?

mcmastodon

Aspirant
What do you mean by build forums? Like build custom forum software from scratch instead of using one of the big/known ones you mentioned?
Sorry, no, just implementing Xenforo, vBulletin, or phpBB for me. Setting it all up.

tony45

Enthusiast
What kind of features do you have in mind?.
BTW, I see Xf a lot more limited than invision

mcmastodon

Aspirant
What kind of features do you have in mind?.
BTW, I see Xf a lot more limited than invision
I am mostly concerned about having control over my community. I really am too new to forums to know what is what. I run several Facebook groups and I want to migrate our members over to something that I can control. That's really the point. Also, forums are 100x better than any FB group... no buried content as with FB groups.

mcmastodon

Aspirant
I am mostly concerned about having control over my community. I really am too new to forums to know what is what. I run several Facebook groups and I want to migrate our members over to something that I can control. That's really the point. Also, forums are 100x better than any FB group... no buried content as with FB groups.
Also, many of my members and would be members live in countries where FB is restricted (e.g., PRChina, etc.)

tony45

Enthusiast

If you run several FB groups may be you will find this feature interesting: clubs. You can set micro communities inside your forum so you will be able to integrate all of them

zappaDPJ

Sorry, no, just implementing Xenforo, vBulletin, or phpBB for me. Setting it all up.

The level of learning and knowledge required to install a usable installation of any of these products is fairly basic. I can say with confidence that the majority of members here can provide answers to any problems you might encounter. I'd also say that the knowledge you'd gain from doing it yourself will serve you well in the long run, especially because as you've said yourself, you want something you can control.

I am concerned that Invision is too limited, and that Xenforo or vBulletin or even phpBB would be a more flexible solution for me.

Don't dismiss Invision Community. It is without doubt the most forward thinking, advanced product. However that doesn't mean it's necessarily your best choice. vBulletin should not be on your list of choices, if you want to know why, check out our vBulletin sub forum. I can't really comment on phpBB because I'm not familiar enough with it but it's free to use and that has to be taken into consideration.

Xenforo is a little limited compared to Invision Community in terms of functionality but it is in my opinion still the best option for the majority of forum owners.

My advice would be to check out the free demos available of Xenforo and Invision Community, not forgetting to compare prices and the cost of renewals. I'd also get yourself a hosting package and install phpBB. You will need a host regardless of your chosen platform and playing around with a free to use product will help you gain the knowledge required to run your preferred choice of product.

mcmastodon

Aspirant
The level of learning and knowledge required to install a usable installation of any of these products is fairly basic. I can say with confidence that the majority of members here can provide answers to any problems you might encounter. I'd also say that the knowledge you'd gain from doing it yourself will serve you well in the long run, especially because as you've said yourself, you want something you can control.

Don't dismiss Invision Community. It is without doubt the most forward thinking, advanced product. However that doesn't mean it's necessarily your best choice. vBulletin should not be on your list of choices, if you want to know why, check out our vBulletin sub forum. I can't really comment on phpBB because I'm not familiar enough with it but it's free to use and that has to be taken into consideration.

Xenforo is a little limited compared to Invision Community in terms of functionality but it is in my opinion still the best option for the majority of forum owners.

My advice would be to check out the free demos available of Xenforo and Invision Community, not forgetting to compare prices and the cost of renewals. I'd also get yourself a hosting package and install phpBB. You will need a host regardless of your chosen platform and playing around with a free to use product will help you gain the knowledge required to run your preferred choice of product.
Working on the Invision demo now. I didn't realize Xenforo had one too. Thank you!

D

Deleted member 111968

Yup, Facebook sucks.