Forum complaint

SiteOwnersClub

Enthusiast
It's not unusual for forums to have a post count limit to do certain things, as mentioned, it helps keep down on spammers.

One webhosting forum I frequent has a 10 post count limit, and 7 days membership in order for them to advertise their services. They get the odd complaint, personally I think it is fair. At the end of the day the forum wants people to participate, not just to advertise their service.

Another forum only allows signatures, and hyperlinks (in the post and signature) after x number of posts (can not remember the exact number). Hyperlinks are automatically edited out by the software.Helps make most spam posts useless.

SteveMetalman

Participant
I've never heard of this before, we dont set a minimum anything
If you register you're in.

We do have a ranking system in the user name though.
Your start at novice
50 posts gets you to 'pub player'
up to 5000 To be 'World champion'

We find lots of the members like getting to pub player and beyond ha ha

Snooks

Aspirant
Dosent it basically boil down to "If you dont like the rules, play in a different playground?"

I dont mean to sound harsh but i figure that the Admins of the forum can set whatever limits that they desire.

I have a 30 post count minimum before you can gain a signature on my forum and i found it has cut spam by 80%. Dosent stop them registering but it sure stopped the spam being posted. As yet i have noticed no downturn in legitimate registrations, though we are still pretty quiet.