Forum clubs good or distraction?

Jura

Devotee
I enabled clubs on IPB. I'd like to know how they are on slow small forums and large active forums.

Forums ages ago just made threads, but you didn't have control like if a new person were to take over the club. They were in with the forums which was nice though. These days clubs are put the side away from other discussions. I suppose you could make a redirect forum to where the clubs are, but then it won't display stats.

Do people really find them useful or fun? Do members like having a piece that they can call their own?

overcast

Adherent
I think it depends. Some niche can afford to have those clubs and the way IPB designed it, it can be a good for traffic but again not for all niche.

haqzore

Devotee
I think you need to have a good reason/plan for Clubs.

Simply throwing them in as if they're subforums will only serve to confuse users.

What is the point in Clubs for your site? What is Clubs enhancing? What is Clubs facilitating that can't be accomplished by a "standard" forum/etc layout?

After those questions are answered, I think a solid "introduction" to Clubs is important.
Lay them out in an easy-to-follow manner for users. Make the benefits clear & quickly understandable.
Relate the usefulness to challenges Clubs help with, and how the users experience will benefit from them.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
You really have to push clubs for them to be active, just turning them on is absolutely no threat to your forum

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Distraction.
You add them to give bored oldtimers ways to diversify their activity within your ecosystem instead of risking to completely lose them.

Joel R

Fan
The answer to the question is not specific to clubs. It applies to any major new publishing app or new section. You can't just offer it, hoping people will come. You need to have a specific strategy behind it.

If you follow me on the IPS forums, you'll know that I've worked extensively with clubs to great success. It's been one of the biggest (and best) strategic decisions I've made. Three the top 10 most visited webpages on my sifte are club pages; club activity drives a third of my total daily activity; and the majority of my superusers are from the clubs.

I have minimum requirements to open a club, and each club is personally audited by me. The potential club leader must have a group membership elsewhere of 2000 users (of which, I'm happy if 500 migrate over), a proven history of prior group management, and a large database of content to share. I then spend 3-6 months working individually with the club leader to get them up and running. I don't just let anyone and everyone open a club.

I personally use clubs to offer space to existing successful group owners who are looking for a platform that aligns with their group purpose. It expands my sites popularity, gives them a platform thats deeply aligned with their values, and best of all, I pick up strong users who immediately participate in not just the club but the broader community.

I've seen clubs used in other ways too. One type of club is read only, so its like a mixed repository of content and files. I've seen them used for regional geographic groups. It's really up to you because there are five club types.

Penguin

Aspirant
So I use this for my gaming community. We allow anyone to create a club, but they do it from our web portal (not IPB) that then sends an API Request to IPB to create that club. (As that way we can turn off permissions in IPB to create clubs, while still allowing it in our web portal). This means that those clubs can then be used for our Tournaments system. The forum is therefore then more a tactics-discussion place, and the main site for actually handling tournaments etc. (As it's all custom code written by myself)

DanielF

Participant
So I use this for my gaming community. We allow anyone to create a club, but they do it from our web portal (not IPB) that then sends an API Request to IPB to create that club. (As that way we can turn off permissions in IPB to create clubs, while still allowing it in our web portal). This means that those clubs can then be used for our Tournaments system. The forum is therefore then more a tactics-discussion place, and the main site for actually handling tournaments etc. (As it's all custom code written by myself)
Interesting approach.

I'm doing something similar on a site where I'm the tech guy...
We use clubs for a LMS, but they're created automatically by the backend code, people don't have permissions to create clubs. This way we've also automated all the additional club features creation process ( create homepage with the informations, the forum features, the gallery features and of course the sub module features)

IPS Clubs are amazing:) The site owner is in love with them, they've increased the activity while they cleaned up the forum structure ( think of forums and subforums for all the courses and modules, gallery categories for the same courses.. All the content which belong together was separated in different apps.
They moved then to topic thumbnails instead of using the gallery, but now with the clubs, the moved back to use the gallery and now they have all the lovely gallery features back.

Another advantage of our new workflow is, that we're back from 59 user groups to 9 because instead of using a group per course,IPS handles all the club-member logic for us:)

Last edited: