Forum admins what do you put on a resume

GoingRight

Enthusiast
If you have linkedin: How do you describe your job title? What industry are you in?

Here is what I think best describes my experience being a forum admin based on Linkedin choices:
Web Administrator working in Information Technology and Services

Having created and run a forum as a full-time job for the past 5 years, I'm not sure how to market myself as a job candidate. What types of jobs should I look for? What am I qualified to do? Was considering entry level IT help desk to get my foot in the door.

Possible resume details:
Web-site design and software management
Moderating and moderator management
User account management
Advertising implementation and affiliate sales

Anyone have experience going from full-time forum admin back into the job market?

Karll

Adherent
I've never done forum admin full-time or even made more money than I spent - though that wasn't my goal either.

Anyway, I wanted to say that perhaps you'd be a good fit for an online newspaper or other media outlet with an online presence that includes reader comments which obviously require moderation, discussion framing and so on. Perhaps you could also help with more general IT tasks, ideas and advice.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
'Retired Peasant' sums up my resume although ironically I'm far busier now than I ever was when I was working.

To be honest, although I still get income from running sites and forums I've never really considered it a job, more a paid hobby. This thread has got my attention. I suppose I've never until now, considered forum experience to be a vehicle to paid employment. Perhaps I need to reconsider that view.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
In the USA, there are corporate jobs for "Community Managers", maybe elsewhere as well.

Somniloquent

Enthusiast
Are you good with social media? I see a fair number of job postings for that. (sample listing)

If you write a lot of content for your site, you might try content strategy. (sample listing)

There's also customer support. (sample listing)

Figure out what kinds of jobs interest you, and tailor your resumé to what they're looking for.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
In my opinion, the best fit for someone who has run forums for a living would be in customer service or customer support/help desk.

pierce

Habitué
Sys admin
email deliver-ability expert
Fluent in PHP my SQL html CSS,
HR expert
Accounting experience
Tax expert
Customer relationship manager
Customer expectation manager
Team leader
Marketing
Sales
Purchaser
IT acquisition manager
Closer for deals
Negotiator
Product evaluation
Bug hunter
Janitor
Chef
Canteen staff
Logistics manager

What else have I don't running a forum for 13 years hmmmm

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
Sys admin
email deliver-ability expert
Fluent in PHP my SQL html CSS,
HR expert
Accounting experience
Tax expert
Customer relationship manager
Customer expectation manager
Team leader
Marketing
Sales
Purchaser
IT acquisition manager
Closer for deals
Negotiator
Product evaluation
Bug hunter
Janitor
Chef
Canteen staff
Logistics manager

What else have I don't running a forum for 13 years hmmmm
Add Political Lobbyist if I have to start writing letters to the government to try to get them to take hobbyist / small business views into account :p

Alpha1

Administrator
Does linkedin have something like community manager and social media manager?

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
If you have linkedin: How do you describe your job title? What industry are you in?

Here is what I think best describes my experience being a forum admin based on Linkedin choices:
Web Administrator working in Information Technology and Services

Having created and run a forum as a full-time job for the past 5 years, I'm not sure how to market myself as a job candidate. What types of jobs should I look for? What am I qualified to do? Was considering entry level IT help desk to get my foot in the door.

Possible resume details:
Web-site design and software management
Moderating and moderator management
User account management
Advertising implementation and affiliate sales

Anyone have experience going from full-time forum admin back into the job market?
If you're writing posts and your forum makes money

would you be a "paid writer?"
:)

gogo