Forum Ad Blocking Crisis: What YOU can do about it!

Oldsmoboi

Fan
How so, Shawn's sollution is to make money with out ads. What would your solution be.

Step 1: Remove ads
Step 3: Profit!

Most of the reasons he gives for removing ads apply to other forms of making money too. Asking for donations? You might do okay the first round, but after that it will dwindle. Charge for subscriptions? Unless you have a niche within a niche within a niche that people can't get enough of, you'll have too much free competition for that. Sell merchandise? That's just a whole new level of overhead... and how many people really want a logo T-shirt that says "HorseForums.com.net.co.uk"?

davert

Adherent
I sometimes get “Why don’t you do what Wikipedia does and have fundraisers?” and the answer is, “When you actually develop your own content and don’t rely on 100,000 volunteers, and when you aren’t the #1 search item that comes up, and when you didn’t start with millions in capital, that’s not as practical as it sounds.”

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
Step 1: Remove ads
Step 3: Profit!

Most of the reasons he gives for removing ads apply to other forms of making money too. Asking for donations? You might do okay the first round, but after that it will dwindle. Charge for subscriptions? Unless you have a niche within a niche within a niche that people can't get enough of, you'll have too much free competition for that. Sell merchandise? That's just a whole new level of overhead... and how many people really want a logo T-shirt that says "HorseForums.com.net.co.uk"?

But i still have no idea what you would do. Ads are getting less and less people getting used to ad blockers and how to install. You only need a few geeks that learn people to install ad blockers and you block many ads.

SGT Oddball

Aspirant
I was at a Google event a few weeks back, they showed us an anti adblock product that they said could come out this year where adblock users are allowed to visit a site X times and then have the option to pay a fee for X days/months of access or the site will be blocked.

Oldsmoboi

Fan
I was at a Google event a few weeks back, they showed us an anti adblock product that they said could come out this year where adblock users are allowed to visit a site X times and then have the option to pay a fee for X days/months of access or the site will be blocked.
That doesn't sound like a google product.

Sal Collaziano

Womanizer
One of the main reasons ad blockers exist is because of video ads that play automatically or when you roll over them, ads that play sound automatically or when you roll over them, or ad systems like Taboola that just generally piss everybody off. Ad networks need to stop dealing with these kinds of ads. I know they make a lot of money - but who cares when you're business is going to close as a result (of ad blockers).

Stop pissing off viewers with annoying ads and just let static ads do their thing.

Mouth

Enthusiast
I do reasonably well with having a Premium Member upgrade, payable annually, that removes banner ads from the site for all users in the user group. I only charge $10 for it, which is probably close to, or more, than the amount I'd earn through ad networks from the user.

kontrabass

Participant
Had to give this a 'disagree'. We have run relevant ads for 12 years (top and bottom for registered; top, side, bottom and after post x for guests). We also run a premium member subscription program with a good number of users. Both revenue streams are equally valuable. IMHE.

We used to run a "Please disable your popup blocker or become a premium member" notice, but have taken that down for 2 months now... and no change in ad revenue.

Sal Collaziano

Womanizer
Just an FYI but I have a fresh copy of Ubuntu installed on an old Dell and the standard web browser, Opera, has their adblocker turned on by default. So any website I visit has no ads - even the completely reasonable ones...

KimmiKat

Fan
Sometimes those notice fail. I've been to sites that were white listed to show their ads and got that message.

We used to run a "Please disable your popup blocker or become a premium member" notice, but have taken that down for 2 months now... and no change in ad revenue.

CyberJoe

Enthusiast
I have no clue how many people uses Adblock on my site.
To me the key is:
1) No animation
2) No video
3) No ads between content
4) Fixed positions
5) No popups or popunders.

Keep is simple. Basic image ads.

bossArch

Participant
Im using (and always will be using) ad blockers of any sort. I will not stop. Now we are in the process of writing our anti-adblockers' blocker.
Until ad agencies disappear = not going to happen; so uninstalling adblocks will not happen also

Good product does not need advertising; so - going further - ad agencies are for loosers with crappy product.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
Good product does not need advertising;
There is so much data out there over the course of decades that shows otherwise, especially in crowded markets. Many big brands were built through great advertising campaigns, and these companies have growth data from ad campaigns to prove it. For example, Dos Equis beer, whose market was stagnant in the USA, grew their USA sales by 34% after launching the "Most Interesting Man in the World" campaign.

so - going further - ad agencies are for loosers with crappy product.
Sour grapes

iamarealtor

Neophyte
Im using (and always will be using) ad blockers of any sort. I will not stop. Now we are in the process of writing our anti-adblockers' blocker.
Until ad agencies disappear = not going to happen; so uninstalling adblocks will not happen also

Good product does not need advertising; so - going further - ad agencies are for loosers with crappy product.

I don´t think so. You can have a good product, but how are you going to sell it if people doesn´t know it exists?

bossArch

Participant
I don´t think so. You can have a good product, but how are you going to sell it if people doesn´t know it exists?
word about it will go from mounth to mounth. Would take more time for the product to spread but will do the trick in long-term. Believe me.
Look - the more crappy product, the more adverts there are out there concerning said product.....