Forum Ad Blocking Crisis: What YOU can do about it!

mysiteguy

Fanatic
Doesn't that mean that 68% moved on? That's a lot of people who might otherwise have signed up or spread the word.

I measure and my registration rates have not suffered. I don't block the content to those who don't turn off their blocker. What I block is the ability for the blocker to by-pass the whitelist notice.

Measure, measure, measure. And A/B test. And remember that measuring is not simply relying on Google analytics -- since this is blocked by many ad blockers it gives inaccurate data. I use beacons as well as a raw server log analyzer.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
I use:

We get it, you don't like ads. But without ad income we can't bring you awesome content. So if you like (your site name) we ask you to consider adding us to your ad blocker allowed sites.​

Obviously, the effectiveness is going to depend on your site's niche, how good the content is, the loyalty of your users, etc.

I use:

We get it, you don't like ads. But without ad income we can't bring you awesome content. So if you like (your site name) we ask you to consider adding us to your ad blocker allowed sites.​

Obviously, the effectiveness is going to depend on your site's niche, how good the content is, the loyalty of your users, etc.

Do you use [rellect] AdBlock Detector to display that request?

mysiteguy

Fanatic
I use my own code. Unlike the plug-ins available for various forum software it cannot be easily blocked due to use of class ids which do not repeat from page to page.

I use my own code. Unlike the plug-ins available for various forum software it cannot be easily blocked due to use of class ids which do not repeat from page to page.

It looks like "Block Element" in ABP blocks your message permanently, just as it does with Rellect.

Last edited:

mysiteguy

Fanatic
LOL, what you found by snooping around into some very old posts here instead of asking is not the version deployed which refreshes by the page.

The page you saw refreshes the id by the minute, if you wait a minute and refresh the message shows back up.

I am working on paid plugins for the XF and VB versions.

LOL, what you found by snooping around into some very old posts here instead of asking is not the version deployed which refreshes by the page.

The page you saw refreshes the id by the minute, if you wait a minute and refresh the message shows back up.

I am working on paid plugins for the XF and VB versions.

I didn't snoop here. I went to your Z28 site. On that site, using Block Element seems to make your message go away for good. Or is that not your site?

mysiteguy

Fanatic
You must have dug around as it's not in my profile, and I mentioned it once in a post 3 years ago. Anyway, that is one of nearly a dozen forums I operate (currently, I have sold some others too) and I didn't have my latest code rolled out on that XF site.

You must have dug around as it's not in my profile, and I mentioned it once in a post 3 years ago. Anyway, that is one of nearly a dozen forums I operate (currently, I have sold some others too) and I didn't have my latest code rolled out on that XF site.

I thought you meant digging around for code. I did click on
and there it was on Page 1 of 1. Would love to see an example of your latest code at work.

Skybound

Participant
Adblock Plus Enters Ad-Tech With Launch of SSP/Ad Platform

New ad platform turns tables, lets publishers programmatically offer nonintrusive ads

September 13, 2016 08:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time
COLOGNE, Germany--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Adblock Plus, the #1 most popular browser extension for blocking annoying online advertisements, running on more than 100 million active devices, today launched the beta version of an ad-tech platform for publishers. Adblock Plus teamed with publisher platform-provider ComboTag to build what will be known as the Acceptable Ads Platform, an interactive platform that lets publishers and bloggers choose from a marketplace of pre-whitelisted ads that they can drag and drop onto their sites.

“We’ve been waiting years for the ad-tech industry to do something consumer-friendly like this, so finally we got tired of waiting and decided to just do it ourselves.”

Tweet this
The Acceptable Ads Platform contains ad placements that abide by Acceptable Ads criteria for size and labeling; and it allows ads to be positioned only in spots deemed appropriate by the Acceptable Ads rules for ad placement. An intuitive drag-and-drop editor gives publishers the ability to place readymade ads directly onto their site in real-time, and be instantly viewable to millions of Adblock Plus users who have agreed to allow non-intrusive ads to support their favorite websites.

Publishers need to integrate only a single tag into their page, and they can immediately start using the new ad-tech platform. By whitelisting the infrastructure instead of individual ads, Acceptable Ads can be now served by several demand sources; these DSPs and demand partners can then plug in and acquire impressions from participating publishers. In this way, the Acceptable Ads Platform functions as both SSP and an ad exchange. The beta is open today for publishers and advertisers who would like to test it, and it will fully launch in the fall.

“The Acceptable Ads Platform helps publishers who want to show an alternative, nonintrusive ad experience to users with ad blockers by providing them with a tool that lets them implement Acceptable Ads themselves,” said Till Faida, co-founder of Adblock Plus.

Adblock Plus will still block all non-compliant ads, and users can still turn off the Acceptable Ads feature completely if they choose. But publishers and websites that pull from the platform are essentially choosing “pre-approved” ads, so the whitelisting process moves faster and can scale. Whitelisting ads used to take weeks sometimes – now it takes only seconds. On the other hand, users without an ad blocker installed will see the regular ads that the publisher has running on their site.

“There are two ecosystems of online consumers out there right now: the one composed of people who block intrusive ads and the other where people do not. The Acceptable Ads Platform lets publishers reach the former group without changing anything about how they’re reaching the latter,” continued Faida. “We’ve been waiting years for the ad-tech industry to do something consumer-friendly like this, so finally we got tired of waiting and decided to just do it ourselves.”

Adblock Plus introduced its Acceptable Ads guidelines in 2011 as a way to allow well-meaning websites and content creators to continue to receive vital ad revenue. More than 90 percent of Adblock Plus’s 100 million users choose to allow these respectful and useful ads to display on their favorite websites.

Links:

I am not too vocal about adblockers, but it does kind of irk me that these guys have become almost arrogant in deciding in what is acceptable or not on sites that we build.

BeyBrad

Adherent
I am not too vocal about adblockers, but it does kind of irk me that these guys have become almost arrogant in deciding in what is acceptable or not on sites that we build.

It's actually the users of ABP (and other adblockers) that decided your ads aren't acceptable, not really the makers themselves. They're just providing a product (regardless of their ideological preaching).

mysiteguy

Fanatic
It's actually the users of ABP (and other adblockers) that decided your ads aren't acceptable, not really the makers themselves. They're just providing a product (regardless of their ideological preaching).

Not entirely true. The makers extort millions annually from big companies to put their ads on the acceptable list.

GTB

Tazmanian
Makes me wonder how comes Google have not been able to get their ads on the list shown They have the money to have done it paying, and they must really hate having their adsense blocked?

mysiteguy

Fanatic
Makes me wonder how comes Google have not been able to get their ads on the list shown They have the money to have done it paying, and they must really hate having their adsense blocked?

Google's own sites are on the list.

External sites which use Adsense, each of those has to apply individually.

Reactions: GTB

Reilly

Aspirant
I use an ad blocker and if I one day went to a forum I am a member of and it said oops looks like you are using and ad blocker. We will allow you to view and post on the forum for another 3 days then it will cost you $x.xx per month to view and post I would most likely just pay the fee.

Maybe forum owners may want to consider this option.

Digital Phoenix

Coffee Ninja
I use an ad blocker and if I one day went to a forum I am a member of and it said oops looks like you are using and ad blocker. We will allow you to view and post on the forum for another 3 days then it will cost you $x.xx per month to view and post I would most likely just pay the fee.

And then there are the hundreds; possibly thousands of users like me that would say nope. Cya.

SGT Oddball

Aspirant

You would be lucky to cover a monthly cup of coffee with that business model, you could forget about it covering your costs because people would just go elsewhere.