Follow or No Follow Setting

Pigoo

Enthusiast
I've been investigating various website SEO parameters (what's good, what's bad, etc)...including "Follow" and "NoFollow" links.

I noticed in the:

AdminCP >> Settings >> Options >> BB Code Settings...the setting..."Add nofollow attribute to URL BB Code".

Any advice what setting is more appropriate (Yes or No)?

Thanks

follow-nofollow.png

AlexTheBat

Aspirant
I won't weigh in a ton, because generally I haven't done a lot of SEO, but a thought to consider with follow/no-follow is how generous you want to be to your users.

Letting links be yes-follow means that any site posted will get a bit boosted in search engines, which might be a benefit your users if they're the sort of users who make their own websites or run their own blogs. Letting them get that boost is a major bonus to them.

On the other hand, it potentially opens up your forum to people who might only post on it because they came on, checked, and realized they can get a boost. So they might just sign up, spam their link and go. Or they might be polite about it and engage a little, post some, be subtle about it, in which case, more posts for you, but not good quality content probably. Which of those two do you feel is more important?

arn

Aspirant
You definitely want to choose no follow on those links. And any user generated content. It’s not even close.

It will attract spam and if you do follow those links it can hurt you.

arn

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
Google introduced a new one called rel="ugc" for user generated links in comments and forum posts.

You can also do both ugc and nofollow for backwards compatibility purposes with some cralwers.
If you only have the option of nofollow, then you will want to nofollow links in user generated content.

Pigoo

Enthusiast
Thanks folks. That's what I was looking for. What other websites are "actually" doing or are typically doing in terms of this question.

Just to be sure I understand what members above are advising. Is the advice to leave the setting in the screenshot in post #1 set to "No"?

Thank you

Pigoo

Enthusiast
Everyone else agree that this setting should most likely be set to "Yes"?

Thanks

AlexTheBat

Aspirant
You should have said select "Yes" for this setting in your earlier reply.

Thanks very much.:)

I was leaving it up to you to decide if you wanted to turn it off or on - but if you do want to make sure links are set to nofollow, you want to select "yes".

Pigoo

Enthusiast
What I would like to know is what most other website Admins have this set at (yes/no). I want to learn from their experience of having possibly tried both settings...and then settled on either yes or no.:)

Mainly just looking for a yes/no answer for this vBulletin setting in this thread.:)

Thank you

Hostboard

Aspirant
For those that would like to modify the rel="nofollow" to the UGC or a combination:

For those that do not have an account (can't see published content):

Line 2673 in includes\class_bbcode.php

Change
Code:
return "<a href=\"$rightlink\" target=\"_blank\"" . ($is_external ? ' rel="nofollow"' : '') . ">$text</a>";

to
Code:
return "<a href=\"$rightlink\" target=\"_blank\"" . ($is_external ? ' rel="ugc"' : '') . ">$text</a>";

Jim McClain

Senior Citizen
For those that would like to modify the rel="nofollow" to the UGC or a combination:

For those that do not have an account (can't see published content):

Line 2673 in includes\class_bbcode.php

Change
Code:
return "<a href=\"$rightlink\" target=\"_blank\"" . ($is_external ? ' rel="nofollow"' : '') . ">$text</a>";

to
Code:
return "<a href=\"$rightlink\" target=\"_blank\"" . ($is_external ? ' rel="ugc"' : '') . ">$text</a>";
You can use both as in these two examples:
Code:
return "<a href=\"$rightlink\" target=\"_blank\"" . ($is_external ? ' rel="ugc nofollow"' : '') . ">$text</a>";
OR
Code:
return "<a href=\"$rightlink\" target=\"_blank\"" . ($is_external ? ' rel="ugc,nofollow"' : '') . ">$text</a>";
Unfortunately, the ugc & nofollow attributes aren't so good for SEO when you have users that post links to high value content related sites. It'd be nice if there was a way to edit the rel values of certain links, or maybe use a conditional that included an editable list of quality domains that when met, would remove the ugc & nofollow values.