Suggestion Flarum added to Forum Software category

Gary

Fan
Hi guys! I just thought I'd take the time to request the addition of Flarum to the Forum Software category of TAZ. I understand that it is only still in its beta stages but there is a lot of potential gleaming from development and I'm sure it's going to be a huge hit to the forum world upon its first stable release (if it hasn't reached that stage already).

There is active development being performed by the team at Flarum and it should definitely be ready sooner than later.

Do I require permission from the developers for this request or is it solely a user-run suggestion on TAZ?

Happy to hear all of your feedback guys. Thanks.

ozzy47

Tazmanian Master
It is a user run suggestion, and me personally, I see no reason it can't be added. :)

Gary

Fan
Awesome! :D

What decides whether the software is added to the Forum Software category or Other sub-category?

Gary

Fan
Awesome. Hopefully it will be added soon then! ;)

Thanks for the prompt reply ozzy47.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Personally, I don't think there have been enough discussions about Flarum for it to currently need a forum of its own, but maybe with this suggestion other people might chime in and say it's somthing they use and would like to discuss. But really, it's not my call, it's all on The Sandman's head :D

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
With that said - and yes I'm being a rebel and double-posting! - I do think the whole Forum Software section needs an overhaul.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I agree. I would consider merging everything under 'Other' and use thread prefixes instead. Give Flarum a prefix and if it gains traction move the content into a dedicated forum.

Gary

Fan
That could work actually...
Personally, I don't think there have been enough discussions about Flarum for it to currently need a forum of its own, but maybe with this suggestion other people might chime in and say it's somthing they use and would like to discuss. But really, it's not my call, it's all on The Sandman's head :D
With that said - and yes I'm being a rebel and double-posting! - I do think the whole Forum Software section needs an overhaul.
I have noticed a few pop up from time to time and there is currently a discussion on it already that's accumulated quite a few pages but I see where you're coming from. Hopefully it will be something The Sandman takes into consideration though.

I do agree on your next point too.

Danielx64

Developer
Whe way I look at it is that all the open source forums (mybb, phpbb etc) get a topic prefix and the paid forums get their own section. The same should be done for CMS blogs and so forth. Otherwise it doesn't sound fair and could cause issues with favouritism.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
It kinda is about favouritism though, isn't it . .. the favourites being the ones the members post about the most.

Gary

Fan
I'm gonna have to agree with Morganna on that point you have highlighted Danielx64. Reason-being is that there is no reason why paid should get their own section over free forum software. At the end of the day it comes down to how many users/customers there are of either software. My suggestion is to purely add Flarum to TAZ though. Any shuffling around of the categories/forums is a whole separate topic I guess.

Danielx64

Developer
Well to get even have 2 different forums, one for paid and one for free and just use prefixes.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Well let look at the servers area, we don't have forums for apache, mysql etc do we? We have prefixes. So there a problem there as well.
Not really, as they're not discussed very often and our primary reason for being here is for forum administration, not coding and database issues - they're just by-products, in a sense.