Flarum 0.1.0-beta.10 Released

Gary

Fan
September 16th marked the release of Flarum 0.1.0-beta.10 code named "New Holland".

The release

This release contains several new items and fixes, as we continue to refine the core software on the way to our stable version. This was not an exciting release for the technical aspects of Flarum, but it was an exciting release for the team behind Flarum! Not only did we collaborate with our [new team members](/d/20916), we've also adopted a fixed duration release cycle!

What's new?
  • New emojis come in the update to Twemoji 12!
  • Mark discussions read right in your notifications, no need to visit the discussion again.
  • A queue system has been introduced on the backend for handling things like sending email in the future. This is a necessary feature for larger communities.
  • Better error handling and consistency.
What's changed?

We've improved Flarum and its core extensions in many different fields for this release, including performance, SEO and usability. We've also taken care of a few dependencies being marked as vulnerable. Read through the complete list of changes on the specific repositories, here's a small selection of changes:
  • You can assign the Edit User permission to any group now, admins can't hoard it for themselves anymore.
  • The markdown toolbar now has an image ️ insertion button!
  • You can now tab out of the post composer (it no longer inserts a TAB of 4 spaces instead).
  • Flarum should be faster when scrolling through a discussion now.
  • Discussion List and Tags Page now use the `rel="canonical"` meta tag, search engines were demoting sites for having duplicate content without this.
  • The tags page now has server-rendered content, for better indexing by search engines.
  • The markdown toolbar in flarum/markdown is now working in IE11.
There are a ton more! If you're into this, feel free to scour our changelogs and releases on GitHub.

You can check out the full announcement by clicking here.

\o/

an oddity
Please make the sidebar less annoying and fix the pagination so that I can actually use it to jump to pages.

Gary

Fan
Have you got an account on the Flarum community by any chance?

I will definitely take note of your suggestions and pass them onto the admins.

Gary

Fan
It does and is slick! I have used it for some of my projects and the overall feedback is very positive. Administrators love it, users love it, there's no reason you shouldn't give it a go to at least test it out against those of well-known forum software.
Get on it! :)

\o/

an oddity
Whoops! I knew I forgot something.
I’ll do it when I find another nuisance in Flarum, I promise.

overcast

Adherent
Just one question: How good is flarum for creating private membership based forum?

Gary

Fan
Just one question: How good is flarum for creating private membership based forum?
I believe it can be done. If something isn't a feature in core then there is no doubt an extension available to do what you need. Best thing to do would be to register on the community forum and ask the question there. ;)

overcast

Adherent
Thanks. I just wanted to check in before taking risk with private membership.

Gary

Fan
For sure! That's completely fair. No doubt there would be something already available though, and if not, request it and someone will be able to assist in making an extension. We have quite as solid community already.