Firewall from Ubiquitti Unifi USG 4 Pro

• Admin

we_are_borg

Administrator
In another topic we where talking about error on a server and what it meant and what to do. I have an issue that my home network also need a firewall and more i have assets that need protection because its confidential information of a project. After long searching I thought it was best to use a firewall dedicated to only that instead of running it and installing myself. I went for Ubiquitti Unifi USG 4 Pro the first question is why the Pro instead of the normal USG well because i wanted to use DPI (Dynamic Packet Inspection) + IDS/IPS (Intrusion Detection System/Intrusion Prevention Systeem) all in one go and on my internet speed of 250Mbit up/down. Only the Pro has enough power to do so. The only issue now is that i need to learn and setup the system this will be hard because if you config it wrong the system will not be 100% secure or even prevent internet. If people are interested i can make a post about this item and how it works in a few months if you want this tell this below.

1590139708976.jpeg

TLChris

Administrator
My home system is ran with ubiquiti, I don't have the mountable USG Pro, but my USG seems to do what I need. Just finished running two lines of ethernet, so I could mount two access points on the ceilings. By chance do you use the cloud key v2? I can't decide if it's worth upgrading to.

I'd be interested in your article...and naturally pictures of your setup.

• Admin

we_are_borg

Administrator
I’m switching to Ubiquitti tomorrow i should have the USG, Switch 24p and 1 AP running. I dont have the cloud key yet i dont know if its something i need at the moment.

• Admin

we_are_borg

Administrator
I have played with the USG and its a monster it has so many options its insane. This is a device that you really need to have the manual next to you to read. One issue is that the device is set to use 192.168.1.1 most networks use this as router IP address so now you cant connect to internet and configure it on the run you are offline until the IP address conflict is solved.

BusyBee

Aspirant
Hello,

Nice to see someone use Ubiquiti products on this forum, all my networks environment use Ubiquiti too now ;)

i don't recommend you use USG Pro4 rather than USG-3 for now because too many weird and anomalies bugs during managing on the cloud unifi controller v5.12.72 (debian) but yes it will have no problem if you use on "locally" Unifi Controller

the bug i got during adopting the USG is all my devices will show "disconnected" after rebooting the devices and i have to reset everything to make it right and forget the USG.

Picture below on my controller after i turn off the USG Pro4.

regards,

Capture.PNG

• Admin

we_are_borg

Administrator
TLChris if you buy the Cloud Key buy the Cloud Key 2 Plus because it has a hdd in it and can handle security cameras. The Cloud Key is real nice what i have seen you can easily access unifi setup by either IP address or bleutooth no need to run software on our pc.

TLChris

Administrator
i have the cloud key v1 atm. However was thinking of upgrading or putting a ups in to protect it in case of power outage.

• Admin

we_are_borg

Administrator
The cloud key 2 plus has a battery in it to prevent database corruption if it lose power by PoE you can use an adapter on USB C and if both fail the battery takes over for a normal shutdown.