FINALLY - get to start playing with XF

r3v0lution

Enthusiast
I just got my license and downloaded XF. I anxious to get it installed to the site, but first wanted to know if anyone has done this:

Currently have a WP site, with some articles that I don't wan to lose. What is the process of moving my WP install into a sub-directory so that I can install XF in root?

Is it as easy as changing the site links in WP back-end and then copying them to the sub?

I'm not in a huge rush to mess anything up, so I'm going to wait until I have some suggestions before I try anything. In the mean time, I'll be over at XF, in the Resource section. Lol.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
it's not really that difficult.. but you need to figure out how you want to access it. Do you want to access it from it's own subdomain (portal.yourdomain.com) or are you wanting the slug to just be off the domain itself (yourdomain.com/cms). Until you can answer that question, it's hard to advise you on what steps to take.

r3v0lution

Enthusiast
it's not really that difficult.. but you need to figure out how you want to access it. Do you want to access it from it's own subdomain (portal.yourdomain.com) or are you wanting the slug to just be off the domain itself (yourdomain.com/cms). Until you can answer that question, it's hard to advise you on what steps to take.

I was able to get it done. Followed the steps on the WP site posted above, but could no longer access the site after I moved it to the sub. I did however install a new instance of WP on a different sub-directory and imported the data into it before I ever tried to move anything. I have all of the posts, but the images were lost, which is no big deal.

Thanks for the input.

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
I just got my license and downloaded XF. I anxious to get it installed to the site, but first wanted to know if anyone has done this:

Currently have a WP site, with some articles that I don't wan to lose. What is the process of moving my WP install into a sub-directory so that I can install XF in root?

Is it as easy as changing the site links in WP back-end and then copying them to the sub?

I'm not in a huge rush to mess anything up, so I'm going to wait until I have some suggestions before I try anything. In the mean time, I'll be over at XF, in the Resource section. Lol.
Welcome to Xenforo!
Congrats on the new license. You should enjoy building your forum on it. It's very nice as you already know!

J.

torquewrench

Aspirant
Based on what I'm experiencing, I would make Xenforo the sub of Wordpress. The load times for Xenforo have been less than appealing, which in turn affects your search visibility tremendously.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
I guess if 7.27 seconds (WordPress site running under HTTP) is faster than 2.06 seconds load time (forum under SSL). Both are sitting on the same server.