Facebook to integrate WhatsApp, Instagram and Messenger

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
On my page I've only been getting annoying pop ups asking if I want to add photos to my post because people allegedly respond more to them.
Haven't seen any references to IG.
I get that popup too. Mine says "Add an Instagram image to your post" lol

zappaDPJ

Administrator
You should read the terms and conditions of Facebook and WhatsApp for better understanding of privacy services, that will more helpful to you.
I highly doubt any terms and conditions will explain whether my contact lists will be shared between apps or how to stop it before it happens.

It's common practice these days for companies to buy other companies in order to gain access to their client data, their most valuable asset. In my experience terms and conditions rarely tell you how your personal data will be used or abused in those instances.

overcast

Adherent
I wish not to connect my facebook and whatsapp because that would pretty much open new can of worms where people on facebook which I don't want on whatsapp would be bugging me.

martin smith

Participant
Facebook, Messenger Rooms are the gateway to a future where the Mark Zuckerberg led social media giant plans to bring together three of the world's largest messaging networks, WhatsApp, Instagram and Messenger, to allow cross-platform chat.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
They promised E.U. Regulators not to do this when they approved their acquisitions but they're doing it anyway.

Paul M

Limeade Addict
Simple answer if you have an issue, just dont use them.

Technically I have an IG account, I think I've only ever logged into it once.
I dont actually remember the password, or the username, I'd have to look them up.

I use whatsapp once or twice a year to share some family photos, nothing more.
I read facebook every few days but rarely use it for anything other than to say Happy Birthday to family.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
Simple answer if you have an issue, just dont use them.
I personally don't but many people do.

Facebook is also the sort of company that follows you around the internet and creates shadow profiles whether you like it or not. It's not the only one of it's ilk either, there is also Google, Amazon and Microsoft.

Google has it's analytics, videos, ads all over the web.

Amazon runs a CDN, web host and they run an online marketplace. In this online marketplace, they let small folks set up shops but only so long as they can gather enough information on them to copy their ideas and steal their customers.

I do not use Amazon, Google analytics / ads or Facebook's empire.

Last edited:

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
It's sneaky that's what it is.
Previously you could have some control of the data mimed between apps on your phone through its own settings.
Now WhatsApp mines your contacts to the group servers and shares it to Facebook that way.

As an example, we are going through a house sale. Took a number for our buyer, and no sooner did we do that on WhatsApp, they are a suggested freind on Facebook.

Dont like that at all.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Dont like that at all.
I wouldn't either. I do use WhatsApp multiple times a day to talk to family and friends and so far I haven't noticed anything intrusive. I don't use Facebook at all though. I did for a while but I found it a huge invasion of privacy. It did worry me when Facebook acquired WhatsApp and your experience somewhat confirms those worries :cautious:

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
I wouldn't either. I do use WhatsApp multiple times a day to talk to family and friends and so far I haven't noticed anything intrusive. I don't use Facebook at all though. I did for a while but I found it a huge invasion of privacy. It did worry me when Facebook acquired WhatsApp and your experience somewhat confirms those worries :cautious:
Its not even the actual idea of it that bothers me. It's the fact they do it as a term of usage, rather than a choice.

But then it comes down to the simple fact. You are the product.

And perhaps a bit more on the cynical side, the social engineering that would go with the association of that person.