Facebook now algorithmically suggesting groups and sending well designed emails with info and graphics to join them

R0binHood

Habitué
Just got an email from facebook, which I very rarely go on these days and it was a nicely designed email with 8 groups I might be interested in.

All with nice images, showing the group size and how many of my friends are in each one.

It was good. All interesting relevant groups for my hobbies and interests.

They really know how to suck people back in and make it easy to grow groups.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
In my view this is the kind of thing forums should be doing right now; grouping together with a view to expand their communities and the activity levels within them. Sitting in isolation doesn't seem to be working out too well these days so why not band together in the manner described above.

Study Force

Participant
^^ That would be an attractive service, actually. I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks a month if it meant my forum being included in a newsletter outlining what we offer directly to people who'd be interested.

Chemical

Aspirant
I’ve been impressed with FB groups for a while now. Still not too good for long form discussion but they are doing many other things well. I particularly like global nav where you can move between groups, and the auto member approve feature based on groups they are already a member of, is quite useful.

The post editing experience isn’t so good though. They don’t allow you to mix content types. So if you’ve added an image, other options are greyed out and vice verse.

But over all the FB group experience has come a long way this past year and I think it will only get stronger.

R0binHood

Habitué
I posted this on one of the election/Parler threads, but in case you missed it, it's a really interesting article.

It covers 3 people who have managed to build massive followings through feedback loops from getting reaction and commenting engagement for topics such as election stealing and other conspiracies (anti vax, Qanon etc)

One managed to create a group of 60k members in just a couple of months before he showed up at the Capitol on the 6th when Facebook then deleted the group and he had to start again.

I'd bet the bulk of content to facebook is posted directly to groups these days. I don't know many people post to walls or pages. I'd guess groups content make up the bulk of their impressions and viewing time these days.

I've said it for a long time. Groups are the the future of facebook, as dangerous as their current implementation may be to democratic society, they're bloody brilliant for sharing hobby media & chat, and enabling connections with people (local and global) with similar interests.

Study Force

Participant
I’ve been impressed with FB groups for a while now. Still not too good for long form discussion but they are doing many other things well. I particularly like global nav where you can move between groups, and the auto member approve feature based on groups they are already a member of, is quite useful.

The post editing experience isn’t so good though. They don’t allow you to mix content types. So if you’ve added an image, other options are greyed out and vice verse.

But over all the FB group experience has come a long way this past year and I think it will only get stronger.

No matter how good the experience gets, I feel that by contributing to Facebook, you're only making their company more powerful. I'd prefer to contribute to a forum than on FB for the same reason why I support small businesses over big-box stores.

Chemical

Aspirant
No matter how good the experience gets, I feel that by contributing to Facebook, you're only making their company more powerful. I'd prefer to contribute to a forum than on FB for the same reason why I support small businesses over big-box stores.
Whilst agreeing with you in principle, from an intelligence gathering perspective, I'd rather be on the inside looking out, than on the outside not looking in.

KimmiKat

Adherent
I rather see FB go poof do to being over intrusive.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
I'm waiting to see what's going to happen in Australia over the new laws about news publications and shares being banned.

KimmiKat

Adherent
Looks like a lot. Even some non-news organisations are caught up in FB's temper tantrum.

I'm waiting to see what's going to happen in Australia over the new laws about news publications and shares being banned.

DigNap15

Adherent
I think that one day people might start waking up to the fact of how much information Facebook has about them.
And if they keep on with their policies of censorship and laying down what is fact and what is not, there might be a backlash.

DigNap15

Adherent
Then I get some of my members tell me they are a moderator on a FB group.
But they have no idea of what its like to run a forum.
All the back office stuff, that never stops
Funding, emails, web host plans, spammers, etc etc

Pete

I only see Facebook getting stronger, but I don't see the death of forums.
I’ve never been a believer that this was ever coming. (Hence my signature!)

But the rise of people doing their own decentralised thing again, that’s taking longer than I’d hoped or expected.

zappaDPJ

Administrator

I must admit I'd totally underestimated the potential impact of this spat. Even though I dislike and distrust Facebook I'm also not entirely sure which side of the fence I favor although I do understand the need to compensate publishers for their work.

Pete

What’s also funny are the ways you can get around it - there are examples of news publishers reclassifying themselves as not, and if you link to a tweet rather than directly to your site, that also bypasses the block.

The whole “getting paid for content” is tough - and remember that the EU is floating around some variant of this too at the moment with the Article 17 stuff (I think that’s the correct number now)

R0binHood

Habitué

Admirable intentions, and I’m with you.
But 99% of users don’t know or care about half the crap that goes on behind the scenes.
They just want a feature rich platform that they can use to connect and share what they want to share, which is why we need better feature parity if these good intentions are ever going to have any impact on their user base and bottom line.

Pete

The problem with 'better feature parity' is that they're running multiple data centres, we're running at best on our own little VPSes or dedis, there is a real practical limit to what we can do in terms of competing.

Like, you want to support video upload? Sure. Been there, done that, managed to implement streamed upload on a regular $2.99/month GoDaddy server, uploading 1GB 1080p video from a phone without hitting resource limits or timeouts... in 2014, it's not like this is new bleeding edge only territory. Only problem is now how you *play* that again because the good stuff in terms of streaming it back... just isn't going to fly on your average hosting plan. Not without a lot of help, vastly more than I guarantee anyone is going to invest in it.

(Life is marginally better if you're streaming it without access controls, i.e. whatever is uploaded is visible to everyone. But not much.)

Unless you're willing to sink in the kinds of money where 'private cluster on AWS' becomes viable, which I'm certain is more than you'll want to pay a month, video uploading is going to remain out of reach for a while.

Oh!

Enthusiast
Unless you're willing to sink in the kinds of money where 'private cluster on AWS' becomes viable, which I'm certain is more than you'll want to pay a month, video uploading is going to remain out of reach for a while.
Frankly, I think the financial cost of video hosting is small beans compared to the headache of dealing with copyrighted content. Of course it depends upon the community (and the type of content members typically wish to upload), but anyone wishing to recreate (or create a practical alternative to) Youtube's Content ID system are in for a tough time. Managing copyright infringements within video in a practical and cost-efficient manner is a real tall ask. If you are more specialized (and not very large) and can generally rely upon members to only upload content which they own (or is otherwise free of copyright restrictions), you can probably deal with that; otherwise, you will struggle.

Either there must be free (or cheap) access to systems which allow smaller platforms and forums to manage copyright claims in an efficient manner (a la Content ID), or copyright laws need to change. I'd argue for both.

DigNap15

Adherent
Rick Beato in his music channel can't even play back snippets of famous songs while he tell you all about them or he gets demonetsised by Youtube.
Yet they allow complete movies to be uploaded!