Facebook is buying Giphy and integrating it with Instagram

Alpha1

Administrator
Facebook is buying the popular GIF-making and sharing website Giphy for a reported price of $400 million, with plans to integrate the massive GIF library into Instagram and other Facebook apps. News of the deal was first reported by Axios, which revealed the $400 million value of the deal.

More information here:

IPS did add Giphy integration to IPS 4.4 last year. I wonder if this integration will be disrupted.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I'm not that familiar with thee site and having spent a few minutes browsing I'd appreciate it if some could explain to me why I should care as it doesn't seem to offer anything of interest to me.

R0binHood

Habitué
FFS. I liked GIPHY.

Lots of people speculating that it will effectively be a way for Facebook to get a tracker in places previously unreachable by their pixel. Such as 3rd party closed platforms and messaging apps.

Even Apple and Signal use giphy. Although apparently Signal proxies all the queries to giphy and always have.

Hmmm

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
I'm not that familiar with thee site and having spent a few minutes browsing I'd appreciate it if some could explain to me why I should care as it doesn't seem to offer anything of interest to me.
FB technically bought the service, but what they really acquired is its existent reach - giphy animations are embedded into so many websites, web services and apps it'd significantly boost for FB the trackability of viewers not using its other services. Ditch FB, instagram, websites with FB share buttons all you like, youre still profiled and further improving FB's connection web for recommendations.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
FB technically bought the service, but what they really acquired is its existent reach - giphy animations are embedded into so many websites, web services and apps it'd significantly boost for FB the trackability of viewers not using its other services. Ditch FB, instagram, websites with FB share buttons all you like, youre still profiled and further improving FB's connection web for recommendations.

Thanks for the explanation, I can now see why the acquisition is so unpopular. Tentacles come to mind.

overcast

Adherent
Apart from making memes and just pushing the discussion based instagram, I don't see much use of giphy for instagram. Maybe more use on facebook instead.

Kaelon

Enthusiast
Yeah, I am somewhere between "meh" and "good God, not again," with this latest Facebook acquisition. On the one hand, I use GIFs everywhere in my spontaneous communications and they clearly have been mainstream for some time now (in fact, some of the business analysts argue that Giphy sold about 18 months too late); on the other hand, it's just GIFs and most serious discussion forums don't use them, or instead, build their own repository.

Let's face it, though - everything is a competition and forums have to be differentiating in every way from social media in order to capture eyes.

Joel R

Fan
IPS did add Giphy integration to IPS 4.4 last year. I wonder if this integration will be disrupted.
They already announced the API will not be disrupted.

For branded and professional online communities on Invision Community, this is a net positive to take even more advantage of the Facebook ecosystem. This is a powerful way to offer omnichannel outlets for advertising and marketing, and extends the reach beyond your online community. If you're an auto club, I can see you promoting your in-depth reporting around an annual car showcase. Or if you're a UK football club, I can see you identifying and onboarding new fans through the Pixel tracking.

Invision Community already contains several features that leverage Facebook, and not just the standard social profiles and social logins:
  1. Social Media Promotion -- https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/43-promote-to-facebook-pages-and-groups-r1074/
  2. Facebook Pixel -- https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/invision-community-43-r1055/
  3. Giphy -- https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/44-animated-gifs-r1102/

Paul M

Limeade Addict

I can't help with that, I've never even heard of it until now.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
It's basically a sort of Google + hosting for meme images that supports various convenient embedding. I've used it, don't hate it.

R0binHood

Habitué
It's integrated into XF now, but it doesn't look like they've turned it on here.