Facebook Groups introduces comment voting

R0binHood

Habitué
1624697362281.png

1624697380488.png

1624697588999.png

Interesting. Looks like they now have both reddit like up and downvoting, in addition to reactions.

Not really sure how well it'll work combined like this.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Not a fan of this.

This will simulate consensus and be very easy to game by groups and even facebook itself. Pliant opinions could get basically stickied to the top (hail empire!) and those controversial or from disliked groups be deliberately 'sunk', pressuring people to express only variations of mainstream opinions and avoid expressing themselves in any way that somehow results in anonymous mass disliking.

This wont even generate conversation. Only active discussion of arguments and events leads to collective enlightenment.
If you think anything about a comment, express it using words clearly attributed to a honest individual. Dont just :tup::tup::tup: alongside the rest of your 50cent army.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Up/down voting can be a useful tool for when finding the 'best answer' is the primary objective but I completely agree with LeadCrow, it has no place on Facebook and will inevitably lead to silencing the minority view.

Alpha1

Administrator
"Let the author know why you voted for their comment. They wont know its from you."
This seems to indicate that you can also leave an anonymous reputation comment. Is there any information on this?

R0binHood

Habitué
I think it means the vote is anonymous and they're encouraging you to still comment as normal to explain your vote.

Alpha1

Administrator
It's almost like they took that from Xenforo. :p
XenForo doesnt have that feature for normal discussions. XenForo only allows answers to questions to be rated and suggestion threads.
Hopefully XenForo will copy it from Facebook. :p

Jeremy8

Enthusiast
Traditional forums show all content, ordered by time. I don't think it would make sense to remove that structure.

Alan_SP

Aspirant
This will simulate consensus and be very easy to game by groups and even facebook itself. Pliant opinions could get basically stickied to the top (hail empire!) and those controversial or from disliked groups be deliberately 'sunk', pressuring people to express only variations of mainstream opinions and avoid expressing themselves in any way that somehow results in anonymous mass disliking.

This wont even generate conversation. Only active discussion of arguments and events leads to collective enlightenment.
I think this is good for forums, bad for FB. But, I don't have FB, only forums... so, it's a good news for me.

Paul M

Dr Pepper Addict
Wow, Fakebook ... does anyone even waste time on that anymore ?
I think I log in for a quick look maybe 2 or 3 times a month, and stopped bothering with groups years ago.

KimmiKat

Fan
FB will do everything to keep 'em on their platform. I think of the movie Social Dilemma.

Wow, Fakebook ... does anyone even waste time on that anymore ?
I think I log in for a quick look maybe 2 or 3 times a month, and stopped bothering with groups years ago.