Facebook changes its name to Meta

zappaDPJ

To be clear, it's a company rebrand not the social platform. And why not, it worked for Google, now known to everyone as... Google?

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
To be clear, it's a company rebrand not the social platform. And why not, it worked for Google, now known to everyone as... Google?
Except in Google’s case they’re not called Google, they’re called Alphabet. Google is a brand just as “Windows” is a brand for Microsoft.

R0binHood

Habitué
Except most google software and hardware products are still marketed under the google name, despite alphabet having multiple other subsidiaries.

GSuite
GMail
Google Search
Google Ads
Google Maps
Google Translate
Google Pixel
Google Home

etc.

This meta rebranding feels like a way to remove the 'From Facebook' branding from What'sApp, Instagram, Oculus etc.

The Facebook brand is toxic and tarnished and they know it. This is their attempt to clean it up and get people to forget about the detrimental impact and harm it's had on society over the last few years.

zappaDPJ

Except in Google’s case they’re not called Google, they’re called Alphabet. Google is a brand just as “Windows” is a brand for Microsoft.
I think it's the same for Facebook? Facebook the social platform will keep the same name but the company that owns it will now be know as Meta.

Pete

I'm still baffled and amused by what Facebook has decided its mission is. They genuinely seem to believe they're going to build the first prototype of the Matrix.

KimmiKat

Fan
Considering the "meta" thing started long ago. Think of Linden Lab's Second Life.

Other companies have did renames on part of their operations, like ComCrap has Xfinity and Charter has Spectrum.

Who knows, this mboard could change to A-Zone!

I'm still baffled and amused by what Facebook has decided its mission is. They genuinely seem to believe they're going to build the first prototype of the Matrix.

R0binHood

Habitué
I'm still baffled and amused by what Facebook has decided its mission is.

Founded in 2004, Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. People use Facebook to stay connected with friends and family, to discover what's going on in the world, and to share and express what matters to them.

It's all about building community. And connecting to family.

maxresdefault.jpg

And tracking and ad revenue and political disruption and stonks price to make money for investors

DigNap15

Habitué
It's all about building community. And connecting to family.

maxresdefault.jpg

And tracking and ad revenue and political disruption and stonks price to make money for investors
Their mission is all about "sharing and expressing what matters to them"
But only if you are left wing.
All right wing topics and content will be censored, and probably any alternate views on Climate Change and Covid
And we will donate millions to help the Democrats cheat and win elections like we did in 2020
Zukkerbucks

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Name change or that wont change perception about its practices. Its just a rebrand to dissociate itself from the old bad press in the hopes that 10+ years later, only those who witnessed the old scandals would know about them (the youngest kids definitely wont).

Abizaga

I am a tuna sandwich!
Lol they really think it's that easy to whipe away their slimy reputation? I knew they were a bunch of dumbasses but I didn't think THAT dumb.

Pete

Lol they really think it's that easy to whipe away their slimy reputation? I knew they were a bunch of dumbasses but I didn't think THAT dumb.
They’re not, but they clearly believe a decent chunk of their audience is.

Uncrowned

Enthusiast
It does seem to be a move to separate its Facebook brand from other products they own. I'd assume a heavy focus on the upcoming Oculus product lines as the whole login with Fb thing has not done that product any good. Although you think they would have waited just a bit longer until all the court and Congress hearing stuff has blown over, I'm sure it won't be as bad as Facebook, but Meta is sure to get dragged down with terrible news articles when they keep getting themselves in the eye of the government.

Web Diva

Enthusiast
~ A leopard can't change its spots....just saying....:cool:

FB can do whatever but it will not change how I view their platform....and it's not positively :X3: