Facebook and Mailchimp sued over sex trafficking (FOSTA)

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
"for Allegedly Facilitating"? That's some very low threshold for accusation. Anything could be spun to imply wrongoing or deliberate inaction.

IMO the real solution to these issues is to take matters into your own hands and stop relying on 3rd-party services with potentially looser ethics or life objectives than you as a community manager with your ear on the ground. Webmasters and scriptmakers should stop their addictions to making full experiences require 3rd-party services.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
"for Allegedly Facilitating"? That's some very low threshold for accusation. Anything could be spun to imply wrongoing or deliberate inaction.

IMO the real solution to these issues is to take matters into your own hands and stop relying on 3rd-party services with potentially looser ethics or life objectives than you as a community manager with your ear on the ground. Webmasters and scriptmakers should stop their addictions to making full experiences require 3rd-party services.
Unfortunately, it can be very difficult to send an email without it landing in junk without utilising a third party service like Mailchimp. Likewise, someone could just not use Cloudflare, but it protects sites against DDoS attacks which would otherwise be impossible to mitigate.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
https://www.eff.org/press/releases/victory-lawsuit-challenging-fosta-reinstated-court
There is also a lawsuit alleging that SESTA / FOSTA is unconstitutional which got reinstated earlier this year.

If you read the opinion, and it is a long one, keep in mind that there are multiple judges adjudicating on the case with their own opinions on what the scope of the law is.

It may be going before the Supreme Court soon, now that the appeals court has approved it, although I don't know when.

Last edited:

overcast

Adherent
Facebook also allows religious bias and polarized left opinion to thrive as well. I am not surprised they do not mind sex trafficking pages and groups.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
Facebook also allows religious bias and polarized left opinion to thrive as well. I am not surprised they do not mind sex trafficking pages and groups.
Given their scale, it's going to be very difficult for them to moderate all of it. I don't think Zuckerberg wakes up in the morning and thinks, you know what, I'm going to work with sex traffickers :p

Alfa1

Administrator
I find it baffling that facebook groups host a lot of activity that I would only expect on the darknet. Apparently nothing illegal is a problem.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
If you've been following the British media, then I would personally be more concerned about Twitter than Facebook tbh. There are allegations they actually are turning a blind eye to things, the moderators supposedly systematically ignore problematic content / people.

It is a tabloid though and tabloids will rush anything through without checking the facts or sense to get quick clicks.

Last edited: