Ezoic or other header bidding?

tonmo

Aspirant
it's a good idea, but not sure; this is a good one for Ezoic support, with the question being, can a key value be set up for anchor ads? Then you could wrap it in a separate conditional, per the example I previously provided. If you find out, please report back!

I don't think it's possible, but you shouldn't use them anyway.
https://www.ezoic.com/anchor-ad-placement-costing-publishers-revenue/
Ezoic told me that I should use them and that their AI would figure out which users to show them to and which ones not to show them to for the best combination of UX and revenue. I think the point of the article you linked is that indiscriminate use of anchor ads lowers revenue. But showing them to the right visitors could increase revenue.

Solidus

Stupid machines!
Ezoic told me that I should use them and that their AI would figure out which users to show them to and which ones not to show them to for the best combination of UX and revenue. I think the point of the article you linked is that indiscriminate use of anchor ads lowers revenue. But showing them to the right visitors could increase revenue.
Maybe. I take a look at my website in an incognito browser with a different user agent quite often and the anchor ads are always there. I did test for a while without them but I forgot the results so I'll do it again.

tonmo Solidus Have you had a problem with EU members being unable to login or stay logged in? I think it must have to do with the Ezoic GDPR consent, but I can't figure out a solution.

It's happening with all different browsers and devices and isn't solved by clearing browser cache/cookies and accepting all cookies.

I'm not even showing Ezoic ads to my logged in members, so this is very frustrating to them and to me. I'll have to stop using Ezoic if I can't find a solution.

tonmo

Aspirant
I do not / have not had an issue with EU specifically, but early on I did have a brief issue with users not being able to stay logged in. If you haven't already, double check to ensure you are consistent with your usage of www. vs. naked (e.g., the difference between https://www.example.com and https://example.com). Not sure if you are using apache or nginx or what, but check out XF config, your server config (e.g. htaccess for apache, or conf file for nginx), and ask ezoic to confirm their config, and make sure everything is consistent.

Last edited:

Solidus

Stupid machines!
tonmo Solidus Have you had a problem with EU members being unable to login or stay logged in? I think it must have to do with the Ezoic GDPR consent, but I can't figure out a solution.

It's happening with all different browsers and devices and isn't solved by clearing browser cache/cookies and accepting all cookies.

I'm not even showing Ezoic ads to my logged in members, so this is very frustrating to them and to me. I'll have to stop using Ezoic if I can't find a solution.
Are you using their consent app? Maybe disable it. Also turn off Ezoic caching and accelerator.

Are you using their consent app? Maybe disable it.
That fixed my problem, but without it I don't know how to use Ezoic and remain GDPR compliant. I've stopped using Ezoic for now. They want to work with me to troubleshoot the login issue, but I'm too busy with work and family to be involved in a troubleshooting process right now.

tonmo

Aspirant
but without it I don't know how to use Ezoic and remain GDPR compliant
XF covers this with their lower-third cookie acceptance feature. Also, Ezoic (through cloudflare) inserts its own line in your privacy policy, per below:

1585403915106.png

Good luck with work and family; first things first.

Solidus

Stupid machines!
But that doesn't give the option to accept necessary cookies without tracking cookies.
When it comes to third-party cookies, you don't need an opt-in.

https://www.iubenda.com/en/help/5525-cookies-gdpr-requirements

"While the Cookie Law does not require that you manage consent for third-party cookies directly on your site/app, you are required to inform users of third-party cookie usage, the purpose of the cookies and link to the relevant third-party privacy/cookie policies."

"indicate all third-parties that install or that could install cookies, with a link to their respective policies, and any opt-out forms (where available);"

This is why Ezoic asks you to link to their privacy policy from your privacy policy.
You can also link to other websites so users can opt-out or disable personalization, such as this one.
Take a look at this:

It's about informing, not obtaining consent. That's only required for first-party, non-essential cookies.