Ezoic or other header bidding?

GoingRight

Enthusiast
anyone using or has used ezoic? How about other header bidding setups? We have tried one setup but the pay increase didn't show and user experience was horrible plus some bad ads.

Looks like beeradvocate uses advally. They even have a thread for members to report bad ads.

TheNakedMan

Enthusiast
AdThrive is popular amongst some forum owners. I've used them for a few sites I run as well, they do well. They are similar to those you've listed.

GoingRight

Enthusiast
We have been denied by adthrive some time ago. We have been running adsense for 4 years. Mediavine states “no unresolved adsense policy violations”. Advine would not tell us why we were denied but perhaps it was the adsense violations. We have the required monthly page views in one day. 90% of the adsense violations we get are flat out wrong interpretations by the bot or we can’t even figure out what the violation is.

Solidus

Stupid machines!
Ezoic has been amazing for my revenue, earning so much more now than ever.

SJPubWise

Neophyte
Hey everyone, I'm the creator of GamerLaunch (~5mm registered users, >50mm posts in a community/forum product). Anyway, all that to hopefully assuage your anger for the shameless plug here. I'm also the founder of https://PubWise.io. We work with sites of all types and sizes with quality traffic to deploy header bidding. Check us out if you like. Enjoy!

tonmo

Aspirant
Ezoic is solid. Has made a very big difference -- and they have an ad blocking app which is effective for those appalling ads. DNS-level integration is recommended.

Ezoic has been amazing for my revenue, earning so much more now than ever.
Is it possible to serve ads only to some usergroups when using Ezoic? I have a premium user group that is ad free.

Last edited:

tonmo

Aspirant
Yes. They have an "Excluded Pages" feature, where you can "Add an excluded Meta Tag" -- I called mine "ezoic" and then I named the meta tag "omit-ads".

Then, in XF admincp, go to your PAGE_CONTAINER template, and find:

Code:
<head>
    <meta charset="utf-8" />
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge" />
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, viewport-fit=cover">
Directly AFTER that, paste the following:
Code:
    <xf:if is="{{$xf.visitor.isMemberOf([4, 5, 15])}}">
    <meta name="ezoic" content="omit-ads">
    </xf:if>
This will display that meta tag on all pages visited by the named user groups (in my case, Banned, Staff, and Supporters). The #'s there (4, 5, 15) coincide with the user group IDs that you want to show the tag to. Showing that tag serves to suppress ads from displaying to those users.

Yes. They have an "Excluded Pages" feature, where you can "Add an excluded Meta Tag" -- I called mine "ezoic" and then I named the meta tag "omit-ads".

Then, in XF admincp, go to your PAGE_CONTAINER template, and find:

Code:
<head>
    <meta charset="utf-8" />
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge" />
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, viewport-fit=cover">
Directly AFTER that, paste the following:
Code:
    <xf:if is="{{$xf.visitor.isMemberOf([4, 5, 15])}}">
    <meta name="ezoic" content="omit-ads">
    </xf:if>
This will display that meta tag on all pages visited by the named user groups (in my case, Banned, Staff, and Supporters). The #'s there (4, 5, 15) coincide with the user group IDs that you want to show the tag to. Showing that tag serves to suppress ads from displaying to those users.
Thank you so much. That is extremely helpful. I am just getting started with Ezoic, and suppressing all ads to my staff and supporters is critical. Any other recommendations for a guy trying out Ezoic with Xenforo?

tonmo

Aspirant
yes -- if you are using the Page Speed feature, be careful and test thoroughly. I ended up needing to disable all CSS page speed features, as it caused various troubles with ajax features and other things. It may depend on a variety of factors, though. Otherwise - works pretty great, set it and forget it! ;-)

yes -- if you are using the Page Speed feature, be careful and test thoroughly. I ended up needing to disable all CSS page speed features, as it caused various troubles with ajax features and other things. It may depend on a variety of factors, though. Otherwise - works pretty great, set it and forget it! ;-)
Do you have to define all the ad location placeholders that are being tested, or does Ezoic automatically try different ad placements on the page?

tonmo

Aspirant
It's up to you -- I let their support team do it for me, it's what they offered to do when I signed up. I made some tweaks along the way; I used their default setting but still some of the placements were a bit aggressive. I should probably spend a bit more time with some optimization steps... but I think it's worthwhile to see what they choose to do, rather than you doing it yourself. You may learn a few things; it's interesting to see how they interpret your site.

A few more tips:

1) consider adding these to your Excluded Pages on Exoic as well (you don't need to use the meta tag, they also offer total exclusion regardless of logged in state:

Directory /account
Directory /conversations/
Single Page /misc/update-push-subscription
Single Page /install/?upgrade/run

those last two were for general troubleshooting; I'm not sure if they are needed.

2) be sure to test your site on mobile browser, as well as desktop, with ads rendering! I had to disable some ads because they were obfuscating other features, such as...

3) be sure to disable Anchor Ads on desktop. XF does a lightbox for the cookie acceptance prompt for new / first time users/visitors, and the Anchor Ads overlap that and make tapping it impossible. I also found that I could not execute against moderation commands (e.g., delete multiple posts) for the same reason. So configure your settings thusly:

1583778423041.png

tonmo

Aspirant
oh, and yes once you set it, their algorithms do run and determine best placements after some time. If I recall, it runs automatically for a few weeks or so, and then you can tweak... but you don't want to constantly tweak, because it disrupts the algo... but when necessary I've done it, took the hit, and enjoyed improvement once it settled.

You should add as many placeholders as possible.
Thanks. That is going to be a lot of work though. My Xenforo ad manager lets me put placeholders above any post, within any post, after any post, above header, within header, etc etc etc. There are hundreds of places I could put placeholders. Did you do that?

Also, did you limit the number of ads per page? I was going to try the "Balanced (default)" optimization goal setting, but I was wondering whether I should use "User Experienced Focused" instead.