Expand quick reply setting?

Deprecated

Participant
I hope it's okay to ask a support question here. I don't even remember my SimpleMachines.org login although it's in my files somewhere.

What setting defaults quick reply as expanded, not collapsed?

H-DB

Enthusiast
It is set by each member in their Profile under the “Look and Layout” settings.

Deprecated

Participant
Thanks! I should have known that. It turns out I did the right thing but I did it half fast. ;)

I went into Themes and Layout Settings —> Member Options where I verified that I had new members set correctly (expanded) but evidently I did that well after I launched, and my options (and other early members) were at the default, don't show.

I went ahead and set all members to show quick reply as expanded.

Thank you for your help and please consider this problem SOLVED. :)

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
This setting was removed in 2.1 to force quick reply on.

Deprecated

Participant
Quick reply should always be on, IMO. It's an oft used feature. Would be even better if it has or gets XF style highlight and AJAX the selected part into the QR box. Did they do that on 2.1?

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I prefer simple editors but one problem with quick reply is new users have a habit of typing out a page of text then losing the lot when they go hunting for a way to add an image.

Pete

Quick reply should always be on, IMO. It's an oft used feature. Would be even better if it has or gets XF style highlight and AJAX the selected part into the QR box. Did they do that on 2.1?

No, that’s far too modern. QR is now always on but may or may not use WYSIWYG.

I prefer simple editors but one problem with quick reply is new users have a habit of typing out a page of text then losing the lot when they go hunting for a way to add an image.

With the auto saving drafts this is in theory less of a problem.

Pete

Yup, auto saving drafts is part of 2.1. But like most good features in SMF it’s disabled by default and has to jump through hurdles to turn it on for everyone.