EverythingvB.com FullAttribution-LimitedDerivs-LimitedTranslation License - Rant

Shane

What's up doc?
Ok. I need to post this because now EvB.com has pissed me off.

They have this thing where they can copyright code that deals with authors hacks right? But since the hack are bassed of vB.com code how can they be countining to operate. I just say this because on of there "liences" things is that some times the authros that use the site must require FULL abbriation to the author. Now arrocding tot he vB leience you only have to display:
Code:
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.0 Release Candidate 2
Copyright ©2000 - 2004, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

They do have other options but how can they get away with copyrighting something vB.com created or at least the functions that help create hacks. I think this is why vB.org requires there new HTL hack to display a txt version because it requires a txt to go allong with it because people. This is just my rant.

Last edited:

floris

Habitué
I am sorry but I disagree.
Please understand the difference between vBulletin source code and code written by the source code modder. The copyright of vBulletin isn't infrigmented by HTL. And the author has the choice how he'd like to distribute his work. If a user doesn't like what he created, how he implements it or otherwise, than who tells you to use it at all?

It is a priveledge, not a right.

Users who create a HTL release, should also realize that they can't include original vBulletin source code, they are not allowed to distribute it. They can refer to it (find, replace with..).

The HTL helps you organize, refer, keep to standards, and most importantly, helps the author to protect his work they way he likes it, distribute the way he likes it and controls quality releases for vBulletin software addons.

This project recently started, after seeing how things were going on vBulletin.org.

My 2c.
Very brave to come to a third party web site and flame from a distance. Even with permission from the staff. I know, you are just expressing your oppinion :)

The Sandman

Administrator
Just so we're clear, Shane did ask for my permission to post "a rant" that he did not want to post on vBulletin.com or vBulletin.org. I didn't know what this was in regards to but I told him to go ahead. To be honest, I do not understand what the issues involved here are - can someone explain it to me?

Kathy

Tazmanian Veteran
He asked permission without telling us what the rant was about. It will be determined by the staff if it remains. ;)

Shane

What's up doc?
I thought I sent you why..

Anyway, I see your point Floris. It's just not the HTL thing. It's how it's operated.

Also cause I needed to post that quickly, I didn't wan to tod it over at vB.com because I was talking with Kier about something before they released HTL (I didn't know they were) and Kier said he doesn't want hack related stuff over at vB.com and vB.org I am posting here because it deals with administrators really adding something to their boards that they can do.

If I really wanted to I could go and look inside any code and remove the copyright stuff and never say who I got the hack from, no... I am not that mean, but the means on how an author might relase soemthing under a lience that related to vB under THIER policy on hacks.

Kathy

Tazmanian Veteran
Shane said:
I thought I sent you why..

Just so we are clear....your PM said this:
I need a place to rant on something and I don't want to do it over at the "vb.com" or "vb.org"

may i do it som wherre on here?

I don't see "why" you needed to do it here and I still don't understand the issue.

Shane

What's up doc?
Yeah. I know. I thought I sent a reason why. The reason of this issue is this: http://www.bugssite.org/money.jpg If that isn't something trying to make money off something, that is just wrong. If somethin gis ever relased for $$. HTL is right now free.

floris

Habitué
I am sorry, but I will no longer participate in a discussion that is based on jalousy because someone else had started something that you had a thought about.

Joke:
How many times can you spend $0 ? :)

Wayne Luke

Tazmanian
Shane said:
Yeah. I know. I thought I sent a reason why. The reason of this issue is this: http://www.bugssite.org/money.jpg If that isn't something trying to make money off something, that is just wrong. If somethin gis ever relased for $$. HTL is right now free.
Looking at your screenshot, I would say that selling add-ons to vBulletin is not against the license. You cannot redistribute vBulletin Source Code and sell that but you can sell your own work. This has always been the case. There are several companies who produce products ranging from chatroom to photo galleries which can be used as add-ons to vBulletin and integrate with it that are commercial scripts.

Again, charging for add-ons is not prohibited by the license and I doubt we could control that through current copyright law anyway. The only thing we can control is the distribution of vBulletin and direct derivatives.

I should add that the the only relationship that EverythingVB has with Jelsoft at this time is that they own a license of vBulletin. They are not any kind of official site nor do they have any kind of endorsement to distribute vBulletin Add-ons. The only official add-on site at this time is vBulletin.org and that is the only site that has Jelsoft's support for succeeding.

A

AWS

Many hacks use vb built in db layer or other built in functions. Would using this in your hacks be considered using vbulletin code?
I would think yes and therefore you can't profit from the hack.
This kind of thing could be good. If someone wants to profit from a hack they created that's fine, but, use your own code and don't use any of vb built in functions.
To date I haven't seen one hack that doesn't use code from vbulletin.

Wayne Luke

Tazmanian
Many of the functions in vBulletin are designed called in external modifications and hacks which makes the overall system easier to modify. In fact many functions were specifically reworked so that a more robust aftermarket was created over time. As it is, no one at Jelsoft sees any issue with commercial hacks and add-ons being developed for the vBulletin Engine. In fact, we encourage it.

floris

Habitué
I tend to disagree that one can't use the globalized funtions or variables for a 'proper' integration. It help create a better product, and I wouldn't mind if the product is credited for this with keeping the copyrights for Jelsoft intact at the footer.

It is a difference if one takes the file_x.php and renames it to file_y.php and adds 3 lines of code to it so it runs as a stand alone with a custom template and release that as new commercial work. (Against one including global.php to integrate the login system or timezone, etc).